Republicans in Missouri dump 2 bills to further relax gun laws after Kansas City shooting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/19/republicans-in-missouri-dump-2-bills-to-further-relax-gun-laws-after-kansas-city-shooting.html

8 Likes

Republicans can’t keep office if they don’t facilitate sacrifices to Moloch. They’ll try again once the heat has died down.

Missouri ammosexuals who support these kinds of law are effectively supporting the GOP.

24 Likes

This is a typical gaslighting line from lying right wingers. Someone identifies as a Democrat/Liberal/Progressive and then proceeds to spew obvious right wing scripted garbage.

15 Likes

Sadly, I’ve also seen it from people who believe they’re Dems or liberals but still parroted NRA talking points ( at least until it became clear how blatantly corrupt that organisation was). There aren’t a lot of them, but they’re so pathetically obsessed with keeping their collections of weapons that they’ll effectively support right-wing politicians.

14 Likes

Drove past NRA HQ today on Rt66 (Va) and had a strong urge to throw a rock at it.

Mthreffers.

11 Likes

Honestly surprised they didn’t use the shooting as an opportunity to double down on the legislation. They’ve done it before, after all, and in response to worse tragedies.

16 Likes

When I first read the headline, that’s what I thought had happened.

14 Likes

Man, if only gun permit requires practical training and passing safety test of usage and storage and owning gun should carry the same financial and legal responsibility like owning car with insurance and legal repercussions for negligence, the chance of gun incident will likely be reduced. /S

What is this madness? They were running on the Halloween fentanyl candy bullshit while passing out guns like literally candy. Access to weapon should not be easier than access to voting. Oftentimes I feel like the GOP should be classified as terrorist organization. With the fear mongering rhetoric about “brown” people coming from the border no long adequate to get the votes, cranking up the inciting for violence is probably the next logical step because they have no policy, only fear and chaos.

13 Likes

They wanted to allow guns on public transit and inside churches?!? What do you wanna bet they still banned guns from the state capital?

10 Likes

These guys obviously don’t have the courage of their convictions.

And as @gracchus says, the same bills will probably be reintroduced in the next session.

6 Likes

This is a fact that is too often glossed over. Supporting violence in pursuit of political aims is pretty much terrorism by definition.

12 Likes

Now is not the appropriate time

I get the PR point and I’m glad these bills are at least temporarily scrapped, but this whole concept needs to be excised from how we make laws or any other rules. Whatever the right policy is, remains the right policy for an extended period of time. It does not depend to any significant extent on whatever happened nearby or in the news in the past two weeks. That’s an unfortunate, emotion-driven confusion/bias we can’t seem to get away from.

5 Likes

This POS is already in deep doo-doo for a variety of ethical lapses, including, but not limited to:

8 Likes

It’s always weird and unexpected when Republicans show even some vague semblance of shame.

6 Likes

Is that what this is? I suspect it’s just opportunistic assholes assholing.

6 Likes

Table to illustrate MO gun laws (or lack thereof):

5 Likes

The “allow guns inside churches” part I get. Shortcut to the “prayers” bit in “thoughts and prayers”. Good thinking.

But public transport? Aren’t Republicans supposed to be against this in any form or shape on religious grounds anyway?

4 Likes

Could be a two-birds-with-one-stone thing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.