Researchers reanimate dead spiders as robot grippers in "necrobotics" breakthrough

Originally published at: Researchers reanimate dead spiders as robot grippers in "necrobotics" breakthrough | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Zombie. Cyborg. Spiders. I did not have that in my apocalypse pool.

23 Likes

“We’re science: we’re all about coulda, not shoulda.” – P. Oswalt

5 Likes

kudos for innovative functional gross-osity, but how is this likely to become a profitable endeavor over some reproducibility made hydraulic polymer pick-ups?

(“There’s another jam in the dead spider chute! send in the cat”)

8 Likes

Oh yay, we’ve evolved to mimic fungus.

9 Likes

Good question. I would guess evolution has developed intricately articulated grippy limbs that may be easier to grow than to construct? I have read that some cricket shipments come with free spiders, so some kinds are easy to rear.
ETA: Also, it’s how to be an arachnolologist and get some DOD money or tech investment.

3 Likes

Four words which should not be in a sentence together: spiders, undead, zombie, and robots.

However, the term “Necrobotics” is absolutely excellent, a wonderful portmanteau. Well done, scientists. Now stop mucking about with dead spider zombie robots!

8 Likes

giphy

8 Likes

Season 3 GIF by Rick and Morty

5 Likes

If your science sounds like a Warhammer 40K faction, you should think twice about it…

4 Likes

So. Spiders “fail safe” when they go caput. The opposite of a dead-man switch.

2 Likes

They can come to my house if they need some more spiders (dead or still alive).

3 Likes

I wonder how it effects the betting pool if you get a combo.

7 Likes

Creepy. Literally.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Do you want Replicators?

Because this is how you get Replicators.

6 Likes

Yep. And sort of disrespectful [to the spider].

1 Like
2 Likes

Spider-Man Cartoons GIF

6 Likes

Trying to burnish that evil scientist image, I see.