Residents call police on black firefighter in uniform for doing his job while black

Let’s try not to sensationalize now. This is clearly a story about state’s rights.

10 Likes

I wonder how long the fools who made those calls have lived in Oakland. If they hadn’t noticed, we’re quite a diverse city.

4 Likes

From what I can tell, this most recent incident happened in Montclair; the already fully gentrified section of Oakland…

8 Likes

Many years ago, a Mexican-American co-worker at my previous employment was mistaken for a gardener. He was working on his backyard when a lady, a new neighbor, spent a while chatting with him over the shared fencing. Later, that neighbor spoke with his wife, saying “your gardener is so funny!” No smiles as the neighbor was informed of the “gardener’s” marital status.

15 Likes

Yea, I go to breakfast up there on the weekends sometimes. Definitely very white, but the hipsters still seem to have not found out about good cheap eggs benedict with no wait times.
Also, I could be wrong but it appears to be an older demographic that’s lived there for a while.

Edit: High highs and low lows.
https://www.areavibes.com/oakland-ca/montclair/demographics/

2 Likes

I disagree. It’s a story about economic anxiety.

13 Likes

Actually it’s about ethics in video game journalism?

15 Likes

Hell, for a hot second there, I thought it was about ‘the history of emergency vehicle colors…’

13 Likes

I guess “Catch a Fire” would be inappropriate.

1 Like

I think they need to have a squad dedicated to it. Too bad those calls often leave out/ add details that might make “this is racist bullshit” less obvious.

1 Like

That’s what colour the fire trucks are where I live.

3 Likes

It’s all about the Trumperei.

1 Like

Too bad BB only has a “like this post” heart and not some sort of “facepalm this post”

8 Likes

Seems the fearmongers should be pleased their work has come to fruition.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/jayohaye/status/1010631459995086848?s=21

16 Likes

You stole my post

2 Likes

This would be soooo awesome (and very possible in Oakland).

“Ok Sir, what was it exactly that made you suspect that Mr. Moore wasn’t actually a real firefighter despite the uniform, the prior notice that was sent out, and the effing firetruck parked out front? Please be very specific.”

6 Likes

A reminder that the Oakland hills are an entirely different beast than Oakland (or Emoryville or Berkeley etc…).

3 Likes

where are the florida jokes now california? three reports in a row… and not in stockton, or downey, or orange…

1 Like

Sadly, you are reminding me of stories when people at the hospital refused to let women or POC treat them. Some people would rather be hateful than live, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the same attitude extended to their property.

6 Likes