Cop called on black man in his own pool

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/12/cop-called-on-black-man-in-his.html

9 Likes

so, wait. the police department won’t do anything unless this man files a formal complaint? isn’t that a dangerous precedent to set? What’s to prevent the cops from threatening him to keep him from complaining?

I’m guessing they are just hoping he’ll say he’s not going to put up with that BS and move somewhere else…

36 Likes

growing up in Indiana, this comes as no surprise.

One thing that Hoosiers are not are racially tolerant. That was an uncomfortable thing that I had to deal with growing up, having crosses burned on neighbor’s lawns, crazy.

25 Likes

In before “Well, if he’d just had a better attitude about the whole thing, there wouldn’t have been any problem!”

30 Likes

The amount of grace it takes to be black or non-white in this country is heartbreaking.

53 Likes

Luxury apartment complex. RentingWhileBlack is probably a violation of the lease.
https://www.wthr.com/article/video-confrontation-between-duty-officer-and-apartment-tenant-goes-viral

The company overseeing River Crossing confirmed by telephone that the manager seen in Shayne’s video is on leave and under investigation.

21 Likes

Oh no, they’re not really racists. They simply can’t believe that a young black man could afford to live in an upscale apartment amongst mostly white people.

See how denial works?

31 Likes

How can these people see the multiple stories just like this on the news and think to themselves, “I need to get in on being publicly shamed and/or fired.”?

37 Likes

I wondered what would happen if somebody did this at the last pool racism post. I definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable giving my address out to people like that, mainly because if they harass me here I’m sure they’ll start targeting me in my home. So… now I know what happens if you don’t feel safe in the first place. Fuck though…

19 Likes

Ah, if only. They seem to be hooked on something a lot harder to get off of than opioids.

9 Likes

Silly Kobrakai, Hoosiers don’t read newspapers or watch real news. They stay tuned into Fux news 'cuz they don’t want to have their little eyes see something that might upset their world view.

7 Likes

WTF, white women?

I trust white people less as each week passes. Which puts me in a rather odd spot, sharing that melanin deficiency, and all.

35 Likes

25 Likes

BB’s regular coverage of cops being racistly (hey, new word!) negligent towards black people has been great, but it happens a lot to other minorities too…

21 Likes

Indiana…

Didn’t they elect Pence as governor a few years back?

Because that pretty much explains everything in this video.

19 Likes

Some states have “police officers bill of rights” statutes which make it very difficult to take action against officers unless a very formal procedure is followed. Some states are trying to modify these laws so that they aren’t just invincibility shields.

10 Likes

It’s striking how, you could have seen this exact local news segment 25 years ago, but today it represents a completely new kind of news. In the nineties, it’d be a chin-stroking reminder that, hmm, pockets of racism still exist, but the very fact that we’re all so mad about it proves we’ve turned a corner. Future Turmp voters could heartily wave their pitchforks at the evil manager, cheering with secret relief that the sacrificial lamb for the year had already been chosen.

But now this sort of thing gets reported quantitatively; people will react to the story by posting video after portrait video of the exact same thing happening everywhere. The medium is the message, and the message is “why make examples, when you can make a list”. So it’s starting to dawn on certain audiences that pretending to be appalled may no longer earn you a free pass for your own attitudes. Some will just stop pretending, but some, hopefully, will begin to judge themselves against the standards they always claimed to have.

17 Likes

Seen that picture before. Sound is not necessarily appropriate for the event but the band and music are worth checking out.

3 Likes

They only watch Fox news.

6 Likes

Off-duty officers working security are the worst. They still carry all the institutional bias and preference for force that they have while on-duty, but have even less public accountability!

20 Likes