Respirator masks with your face printed on it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/17/respirator-masks-with-your-fac.html

2 Likes

avengers-thor-nope

9 Likes

a) Being able to unlock your phone after zombies chewed off your nose, lips and chin won’t be a priority.

b) Using your biometric data as a password is a very bad idea anyway.

12 Likes

A nice new addition to America’s land-fills.

5 Likes

I suppose if you need to announce ‘I’m scientifically illiterate’ to the world, this is a fairly novel way to do it.

2 Likes

Reminds of mix and match children’s books;

Which could be more fun than printing your own face; printing part of someone else’s or something else’s face**.

10 Likes

Wouldn’t I want it with someone else’s face to elude tracking?

12 Likes

Out of interest, is there any evidence face-masks make much of a difference full stop for the general populace for infections?

Seems more a cultural thing from what i’ve noticed. Huge in places like japan, someone here in the UK wearing a mask would be an extreme outlier…

1 Like

i want one with a scrolling led panel

subtitles.

5 Likes

I don’t know stats, but the idea is the sick wear it to be polite

3 Likes

My first thought too

2 Likes

As I understand it masks aren’t good at preventing a healthy person from getting sick in the wild (in the controlled setting of a hospital they can). The use for these things is to prevent an already sick person from spreading the illness.

Since the main vector for infection isn’t necessarily bodily fluids floating around in the air. But the transfer of fluids via hand contact. Touching your face, covering sneezes or coughs with bare hands, then touching door knobs and shit.

The mask can’t stop a healthy person from getting that sort of contamination on their hands. And later touching eyes, nose and face. But it does prevent a sick person from touching the infectious parts of the face or sneezing and coughing on their hands.

And that’s the cultural use of these things. In Asia the sick folks are wearing masks to avoid spreading their illness to others. It isn’t healthy people wearing masks. It’s mostly a politeness thing, but apparently it does work.

These also might be the wrong kind of mask. There are surgical masks that look like this. But your typical dust filter masks in this format, even with the appropriate filtration level. Are apparently fairly useless, i think it’s because they’re absorbent. And actual medical masks are designed as a sterile barrier, not a filter.

5 Likes

Someone can then steal your mask and access your phone.

And the headmaster in “Red Planet” decided that individualized masks were wrong, so the customized paint jobs had to be removed, and a standardized numbering scheme used.

1 Like

If I use the face printed masks I can use my phone, but if I use the face printed masks the police drones think i’m not wearing a mask and fine me. I can only pay fines by using my phone…

4 Likes

Japan also has a problem with pollen allergy, but I’m not sure how prevalent it is.

“Ideal in moments of civil unrest” etc…

Might be fun is everyone had, say, a politician’s face on while on the street…

4 Likes

This one please…

3 Likes

Implying this isn’t the future I want to see.Aphex_Twin_-_Come_to_Daddy

3 Likes

Also if your phone is fooled by this, replace your phone.

3 Likes

Reminiscent of the painted tin masks used to hide the facial disfigurements of WWI veterans.

7 Likes