Responding to Russian misinformation that he fled, Zelensky speaks: “We are here. We are in Kyiv. We are defending Ukraine.”

Just a little humor in the midst of global meltdown. Everyone keep safe, keep your spirits up, dance & sing, love and friendship to you all. We’re in for a nasty ride.

13 Likes

It somehow makes him less repulsive.

10 Likes

Holy guacamole, is that even possible?

12 Likes

I’m telling you - GOOGLY EYES!

10 Likes

Last-ditch emergency conscription is just what usually happens in the modern age when a nation-state’s established constitutional system is under real existential threat by an overwhelming external or internal force.

It’s not pleasant, it’s no decent leader’s first choice, and more often than not it’s an indicator that the opponents have a good chance of prevailing anyhow. Once it’s recognised as an option, though, the only alternative is surrender; I’m assuming you’re not advising that in the case of Ukraine.

Absent a totalitarian regime of the sort that produced Stalin’s Order 227, they really have no way of enforcing conscription in dire situations like this. In these situations, men who want to opt out will just run across the border or hide and probably will not be welcome should the nation-state survive.

23 Likes

It’s probably because all I can see is the frog while ignoring the rest of the Cronenberg-esque creature

5 Likes

I’m not a lip reader, but it looks like he’s ordering a McDonalds cheese burger :hamburger: and a Diet Coke. I could be wrong…

6 Likes

Yes, I really don’t think this is a “deserters will be shot” situation. This is a call for men to stay and fight and probably some logistical orders to making leaving by rail or car a little harder. I have not seen reports of enforcement or people being detained - Ukraine doesn’t have the resources to deal with that now. They are focused on an existential fight for their country.

I would be much more inclined to agree with you if I did start to see reports of deserters being shot - I would have a much harder time with that.

10 Likes

Well the only two options with him if his lips are moving are “Lying” and “McDonalds”, so you have a good chance of being right!

6 Likes

They would not waste the ammo on deserters, Ukraine :ukraine: ain’t got time for that.

8 Likes

This is absolutely what he is planning. Russian propaganda is trying to frame their invasion as a „De-Nazification“ in response to „Nazis and Skinheads in the Ukranian government“. Ridiculous, but that’s what they are trying to do.

15 Likes

I guess that it might give some level of protection to Ukrainians who take up arms against the invaders. Maybe it allows them to claim defence as combatants rather than as armed civilians? This is such a sad situation :cry:

5 Likes

Molotov Coctail Hour

6 Likes

Nation-states resorting to conscription during extreme circumstances like this dates back to antiquity, really.

Sure seems a lot more justified than the United States drafting young men to fight in Korea or Vietnam.

16 Likes

Precedent exists, and not just by Nazis. (Sorry about the weird oneboxing.)

9 Likes

Yes, I was sure that the USSR also did that, but I wasn’t as familiar with it. No doubt Vlad has dusted off some old KGB or NKVD manuals.

He doesn’t even have to kill that many people, just exile them as millions of refugees to the west.

8 Likes

I didn’t realize I could love Zelenskiy even more.

This was on twitter:

16 Likes

:100:

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1497644804729094144?cxt=HHwWgICymfuA2sgpAAAA

18 Likes
10 Likes

The guy has guts. One thing that Pooty better remember is that his soldiers are fighting for a paycheck. Ukranians are fighting for their lives. Who’s going to fight harder?

12 Likes