Retired major general of US Army: "Michael Flynn should be court-martialed for treason"

I’m fine with returning him to active duty, even if it that active duty is just a smidge this side of “constructive termination”. If he commits treason while on active duty I’m fine with a court martial and a hanging. I’m still not fine with having previously been in the military restricting his right to speak. (that said if his speech actually is actionable as a civilian, I’m all for charging him, but as a criminal matter not a military one)

That said to me this has far more to do with establishing a president of overreach. If Flynn chokes to death on a chicken bone I won’t shed a tear. If they do recall him to service and execute him I won’t be upset that he was punished, just when that same power is used some other year against someone who is actually innocent.

I also wouldn’t donate to the ACLU to defend Flynn (I do donate to the ACLU on general principals, and wouldn’t stop doing so, but a “we need an extra $1 to defend Flynn” wouldn’t get me to reach into my wallet).

2 Likes

Better late than never, I guess.

thank you. and this time, not because I knew, too, and it bugged me, but because I didn’t notice and so might have written the same mistake myself without this friendly reminder.

18 USC §2385

Whoever knowingly or willfully advocates, abets, advises, or teaches the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States or the government of any State, Territory, District or Possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein, by force or violence, or by the assassination of any officer of any such government; or

Whoever, with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of any such government, prints, publishes, edits, issues, circulates, sells, distributes, or publicly displays any written or printed matter advocating, advising, or teaching the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying any government in the United States by force or violence, or attempts to do so; or

Whoever organizes or helps or attempts to organize any society, group, or assembly of persons who teach, advocate, or encourage the overthrow or destruction of any such government by force or violence; or becomes or is a member of, or affiliates with, any such society, group, or assembly of persons, knowing the purposes thereof—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both, and shall be ineligible for employment by the United States or any department or agency thereof, for the five years next following his conviction.

–Sounds about right. Not Treason, but certainly a felony.

Edited to add: And that is a law that applies to everybody, not part of the Uniform Code of Militaqry Justice, so there’s no need to convene a court martial.

10 Likes

The mthrfkkr needs to be dragged behind a tractor. Over cactus. And glass, rusty nails and puss soaked bamboo spikes.

Just say’n.

3 Likes

"Court Marshal, Marshal, Marshal!

3 Likes

“…foreign and domestic

3 Likes

Flynn representing himself at the court-martial:
“But what is treason, but ‘reason’ with a t?”

He’s currently collecting significant benefits as a high-level retired military officer. He’s sucking on a government tit much more than any active-duty enlisted grunt. With benefits comes accountability.

ETA: I’ve worked with several honorably discharged, retired US military officers. They have their military oath framed and hung in their office. When they retire, they don’t tear up that oath, or get a paper saying, “Remember that oath you swore? Yeah, that’s no longer relevant to you.” tl;dr, you take $ for serving, you’re still sworn as an officer.

15 Likes

While I don’t think an actual coup is possible at this point - the fact that these Trumpist are floating the idea and calling for it is disturbing to say the least.

If Flynn can face any punishment due to his military service, such as court martial, he absolutely should be. Stamp out these cigarette butts before they start a wild fire.

At this point, no. But we have taken several shuddering steps towards it. Popularizing the idea that the election was fraudulent leads directly to the idea that election results should not be respected. And that, in turn, implies that overthrowing an election might be a reflection of the will of the people rather than a repudiation of it. And in the hands of a more capable autocrat, one less vain and with even a hint of subtlety, that could be a very very dangerous thing.

Voting Trump out of office was a critical first step in protecting democracy. But we have made little other progress towards a sustainable political process. Getting rid of Mitch would also be nice, but it isn’t about an individual, it is about the polarized winner-take-all and super obstructionist politics that has infected the GOP and led to the inability of the GOP to compromise.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.