Retired major general of US Army: "Michael Flynn should be court-martialed for treason"

Originally published at: Retired major general of US Army: "Michael Flynn should be court-martialed for treason" | Boing Boing

10 Likes

26 Likes

But his emails…

14 Likes

“Michael Flynn should be recalled to active duty and court-marshaled for treason.”

Now that’s my kind of “stop-loss”! Do it, Biden.

27 Likes

Still not treason. Treason is the one constitutionally defined crime and is almost never the right charge. Sedition or one of the conspiracy to commit X offenses is a better choice.

8 Likes

You don’t think trying to get a Myanmar-style coup going counts as levying war against the country?

12 Likes

I’ll allow it in this case. Eaton prefaced it a way that made it clear he thinks Flynn’s treachery is against the oath he took to defend the Constitution. I’m sure he understands that, in the happy event a court martial came to pass, the official charge would be sedition.

12 Likes

Frankly, he should be court martialled only for his mispronunciation of Myanmar.

6 Likes

You’ll hear a bunch of blustery talk like this, but I’ll bet you a dollar that nobody with any skin in the game (i.e. anybody with a net worth of over 7 figures that didn’t get that way from instagram) will see any negative repurcussions. He’ll keep doing appearances and probably speak at the RNC in a few years.

6 Likes

That candy-cane tie is a crime against humanity.

3 Likes

If the war happens, yes. Until then advocacy for such a thing is a different offense. The narrow definition of treason in the constitution is there because treason as a charge had a nasty way of spreading out to encompass more and more offenses.

2 Likes

So is the KKKpublican Party…

6 Likes

“court-marshaled”
*court-martialed

6 Likes

This bothered me too – “Minnamar” is what I hear. But I think it’s being said by a questioner in the audience, not by Flynn himself. Am I seeing/hearing correctly?

4 Likes

And for screwing up the Pledge of Allegiance. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Flynn, Bannon, Brooks, Hawley, Cruz, MTG, trump and other QoPers walk free and clear of any sedition charges.

Ain’t it great? /XLs

https _d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_56333d97-6cee-438b-8d90-bdd6b8836068

Nothing to see here. Move along…

ezgif-2-6ba0ad027e53

7 Likes

I’m not fond of Michael Flynn, and an outcome that puts him in jail would be nice, but I’m not sure this would be a valid one.

If one recalls Michael Flynn to active service I’m utterly unconvinced that one should be able to hold him up to the standard of an active duty officer for actions made when not on duty. I mean as a civilian he isn’t required to salute anyone, nor follow orders from officers of superior rank. You can’t (or shouldn’t) be able to recall him to active service and then court martial him for that either (unless he continued to do it after being recalled).

If he’s riding on his service history and former rank to promote this seditious nonsense*, he can damn well be called back to that status and held to account for his actions. Especially since the U.S. government has a history of pulling people back into uniform when it suits their needs otherwise.

Senior officers like Eaton and Vindman don’t talk about this stuff frivolously. If they’re saying these things they’re dead serious about it.

[* which he is. The TV chyrons and speaking engagement advertisements don’t read “Mr. Michael Flynn, Civilian”.]

18 Likes

there’s a line for sure, it’s just that he’s long ago crossed it.

he getting a minimum of 100k per year in military pension – and like @gracchus says – leveraging his position as a former lieutenant general to commit sedition ( not to mention, traded upon that reputation to commit crimes. )

i don’t think he deserves to be honored by keeping his rank, and i don’t think he should be allowed to keep his pension.

16 Likes

I think when we are outside a courtroom it’s okay to say, “That person should be charged with killing their neighbour” or “that person should be charged with absconding with those jewels” even though “killing” and “absconding” aren’t the proper names of the crimes they’d be charged with.

12 Likes