Judge delays Michael Flynn sentencing for lying to FBI

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/18/flynn-sentencing.html

7 Likes

It’s a good thing the Judge clarified what he was getting at with his questions about treason and his mistake about the timeline of Flynn’s activities as an unregistered foreign agent, because he’d have been handing them a pretty good appeal of any sentence he’d have handed down today otherwise.

I don’t want any of these fuckers getting a sentence overturned on a procedural issue later and then claiming innocence the rest of their lucrative careers as right-wing pundits. See, e.g. Iran Contra.

20 Likes

And yet the Trumpkins will still defend him and Nostradumbass and claim fake news, witch hunt, and whatever ever other nonsense they hear.

6 Likes

How many people have gone to prison because they lied to the FBI? Just watch one episode of COPS and you’ll learn to keep your mouth shut and lawyer up. Good lord.

2 Likes

If only he had told the truth, he could have been sentenced right away. :smirk:

6 Likes

The craziest part is that publicly wishing a convicted felon “good luck” probably won’t even be the most scandalous or controversial thing the President of the United States does today.

10 Likes

No Xmas pardon for you!

White%20ass%20in%20jail

5 Likes

I get the Flynn is probably a very useful witness, and I understand that he’s in a strong negotiating position, where he could have hoped for a pardon if he hadn’t cooperated. I know all these things in my head, and logically, his sentence isn’t necessarily completely mad, and yet

I just cannot get over the Fethullah Gülen kidnapping plot. There’s a lot of foolishness I’ve gotten used to, but the idea that the national security adviser was going to black-bag someone inside the US remains so shocking

24 Likes

Trump began the day of his former National Security Advisor’s trial by wishing Flynn ‘good luck.’

Which is Il Douche’s way of saying “you’re on your own, but you better not rat me out.”

Arrogant pricks like Flynn and Cohen all think they’re the smartest people in the room and that they’re protected. Which is a fatal assumption when Mueller or Rosenstein are in the room, and when the protector is a narcissist who uses up his underlings like Kleenex.

Meanwhile, the regime is backpedaling over a promise that I have no doubt Il Douche made to Erdogan:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-usa-gulen-extradite/trump-did-not-tell-erdogan-he-would-extradite-gulen-white-house-official-idUSKBN1OG2BZ

12 Likes

I still can’t get over that he was kicked out of Directing the DIA. That’s just f’d up. The dude was seriously damaged goods since '14 and maybe earlier.

8 Likes

I’m curious about the timing of Flynn supposedly not working for the Turks after he became defense secretary. Where’s the evidence that he’s not working for them any longer? My understanding was that Erdogan was mainly interested Flynn because Flynn promised to extradite Erdogan’s “nemesis” Gulen; an outspoken critic for whom the last Turkish coup was blamed. In fact it has been uncovered that Flynn suggested abducting the guy and kidnapping him away to the Turkish authorities.

45 has stated within the last month that he’s “still considering handing over Gulen”.

So, if that’s the case Flynn’s actions still have negative impact regardless of whether or not he’s still DefSec or whether he’s “still” working for the Turks. Did he return the $600k he got from them? I doubt it. And I’m sure they want recompense for that $600k.

Seems like the prosecution is going needlessly easy on Flynn and it’s obvious the Judge thinks so too.

9 Likes

Can we chant “LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!” ?
and after him ‘Individual 1’

people are saying 'Individual 1 really likes this whole #1 business, especially if the russian hooker had a big plate of asparagus and two bowls of borscht for lunch. Good times.

5 Likes

The Judge is an insidious MoFo, letting Flynn dig a deeper hole over a long weekend, man that’s justice.

Oh, and

LOCK HIM UP!

9 Likes

I get “cooperating with the prosecutor” and such, and hunting for bigger prey, but holy fucksocks.

He was a LTGEN!

He was D DIA!

He was National Security Advisor!

He was a big fucking fish! If the prosecutors are trying to let him off the hook, who won’t they let off the hook?

9 Likes

people who have less to offer, I assume.

I know that K.T. McFarland revised her testimony after she learned that Flynn was cooperating.

I know it’s unsatisfying, but maybe Flynn got a sweet deal because he was the first domino to fall. I don’t know. The plea agreements so far (other than Manafort) have been kind of unsatisfying, and I really hope that it’s because it’s all leading up to something, but damn it’s hard to predict.

5 Likes

Yeah, but surely(!?) at some point (!?) the prosecutors should be all “yeah, thanks for the cooperation - which really is the very least someone in your position should offer - but you’re still gonna fry^.”

^ metaphorical fry. Not actual fry. I do not support the death penalty, at all, for anyone, including the likes of Saddam Hussein, or OBL.

1 Like

Watching this play out, I’m feeling like we are on a parallel track in the UK, but a couple of years behind, and wondering which of our gallant lead Brexiteers will turn out to be in the direct employ of foreign governments (as opposed to just having personal financial interests that are predicated on the shorting of the UK economy).

We may have left the EU by then of course…

5 Likes

Maybe some real jail time, after all?

kimmy-schmidt-fingers-crossed

10 Likes
7 Likes

I’m just going to leave this here…right wingnuts comments on Faux “news”.

7 Likes