WSJ Breaks what we've all known all along - Flynn Seeks Immunity

Here is link to WSJ story - getting picked up everywhere now.

in other news - shit about to hit fan

11 Likes

…and that’s the sound of a fat old orange man going under the bus

6 Likes

Hells to the yeah.

5 Likes

What I’ll be very, very, interested to see is whether he can get someone to take him up on the offer:

The feds certainly aren’t averse, in principle, to trading immunity for information; but they have little incentive to do so unless it’s information that they don’t already have or cannot get access to. Unless Flynn has a suitably placed buddy who is looking for a convenient excuse to help him out, striking a deal is going to require having something that isn’t ‘my recollections about chats with Russians you were probably wiretapping the entire time’.

I’m not sure which would be more interesting. If he gets a ‘yes’, that suggests that he has something really juicy; but the business of knowingly letting the guilty go free isn’t terribly palatable, so a ‘haha, perp, we are all set, thanks’ would be more satisfying.

9 Likes

I’d prefer to see a deal along the lines of “hey, how about you tell us what you know and to what extent you’ve assisted in treason, and we’ll lock you up like the shitweasel you are, but maybe not for as long, since we’re assuming you’re a treasonous shitweasel anyway.”

10 Likes

13 Likes

"Renaming my kids’ pet canary bird General Flynn." -Richard Painter, Prof. of law at the University of MN, was the chief White House ethics lawyer for Pres. George W. Bush from '05 to '07. Currently serve as vice chairman of CREW

10 Likes

Given his stated position on immunity; I’m inclined to want him hit considerably harder for having the temerity to ask. I realize that intellectual honesty isn’t in his job description; but to go from this position to requesting immunity in matters related to your own questionable communications practices is downright tacky.

At last summer’s Republican party convention, Mr Flynn led chants of “lock her up” aimed at Hillary Clinton over her use of a private email server.
In September, he said in a TV interview that it was unacceptable that some of the Democratic candidate’s aides had been granted immunity from prosecution.
“When you get given immunity that means you’ve probably committed a crime,” he told NBC News.

19 Likes

That’s precious.

8 Likes

Bannon and Flynn sitting in a tree k i s s i n gee, I wonder what the two have been up to…

Flynn lives in the same bat shit crazy conspiracy theory tainted world as Bannon and is inclined to pick a fight with Iran and others in the ME.

6 Likes

Seriously, that should be in more job descriptions.

11 Likes

From the BBC News:

The lawyer said the media was awash with “unfounded allegations, outrageous claims of treason, and vicious innuendo”.

does not sound like he is going witness to offer condeming info. Which makes the request all the more ridiculous. “I’d like immunity for telling you there’s nothing to see here, move along…”

7 Likes

As an experienced lawyer, Kelner will know that the Justice Department would never grant immunity for testimony on these terms. Prosecutors would first require that Flynn submit to what’s called a proffer session in which Flynn would agree to tell everything he knows in exchange for the prosecutors agreeing not to use his statement against him. Only after the prosecutors heard what Flynn could offer in terms of evidence against others, and had an opportunity to assess his credibility, would they be willing to discuss any grants of immunity or a cooperation deal. At a minimum, the prosecutors would require Flynn’s lawyer to make a proffer outlining the information that Flynn could provide.

The fact that Flynn and his lawyer have made his offer publicly suggests that he has nothing good to give the prosecutors (either because he cannot incriminate others or is unwilling to do so). If he had something good, Flynn and his lawyer would approach the prosecutors quietly, go through the proffer process in confidence, and reach a deal.

14 Likes

Yup. With his lawyers comments it sounds like the message is “I want immunity from my own wrong doing to tell you that nothing is up with Trump…”

5 Likes

I like the way the Atlantic puts it: “But the move could also be a purely prophylactic measure.”

8 Likes

Well, just look at that.

12 Likes

Flynn’s son was a Pizzagater, remember? Apples not falling far from trees, etc.

6 Likes

No idea what that’s meant to mean, but whatever.

Different take:

5 Likes

I’m reading into that the mistaken understanding that “immunity” just means that “charges are dropped,” not “charges are dropped as a quid pro quo for coming clean and ratting out your boss.”

2 Likes

Given this guy’s generally paranoid politics it could be a purely political thing. I mean he’s pretty obviously perjured himself, and he does appear to have lied to federal law enforcement. Both of which are crimes. But given who sits in the White House it’s unlikely there would be charges.

I wouldn’t put it past this guy to ask for immunity so he could bitch about a liberal witch hunt for the rest of his days. “I need immunity from all things forever because otherwise they’ll put me in jail for loving Ronald Reagan!”. Given the “unfair prosecution” elaboration from his lawyers he already seems to be running with that spin.

3 Likes