Return of the BBS Discussions Missing

Was it a scheduled post?
Are you using any custom post statuses on your site?

Edit: since you have the ‘Auto Publish’ setting enabled, neither of the above 2 questions should have any effect on whether or not a post is published to Discourse. We know that the Discourse publish-post function was called, because that’s what sent the email.

It’s possible that people are unchecking the ‘publish to Discourse’ checkbox when they save a post as a draft. If that’s the case, they don’t need to do that. Drafts aren’t published to Discourse.

Oopsies.

We’re not, and it was a really old post that was edited and uploaded, so probably not a good test case.

@jorpho’s below is more interesting, as I didn’t get a notification that it failed!

(fixed, BTW).

When you looked at the post, was there a notice saying that it had failed to publish to Discourse? Was it a scheduled post?

If you’re getting no notification for a post, then the wp-discourse publish function probably isn’t being called. The wp-discourse publish function hooks into the WordPress save_post action. I’ve seen cases where that action isn’t called when a post is published by the wp-missed-schedule plugin.

1 Like

The post had not failed. It was a draft post published by another author. I’m not sure if it was scheduled or not - @beschizza, when you published the post above, did you schedule it or just publish it directly?

Published directly

After you published it, was there a notification on the post edit page saying that the post had been published to Discourse, or that the post had failed to publish to Discourse?

Here’s another one:

That one was a new author with an incorrect discourse username (and did generate a useful error explaining that possibility, thank you for that)!

3 Likes

and new posts saved me from looking up this thread…

2 Likes

Every time I enter this topic, I’m like

There’s probably nothing there, but it would be great if someone could check the Discourse error log for a post that has failed to publish to Discourse and hasn’t sent an email notification.

Oh NO!

3 Likes

Fied, thanks.

@scossar interestingly, none of those generated an error message. They’re all from the same author but I think that’s coincidental. I’m trying to track down who posted them live to see how they were posted.

1 Like

A Tom the Dancing Bug now? That’s new.

3 Likes

I suppose Mr. Blazenhoff’s account has not yet been suitably blessed?

3 Likes

That’s Ms. Blazenhoff! But yes I would like to comment on that.

1 Like

Fixed. Thanks!

1 Like

BoingBoing Store this time:

2 Likes

That’s probably for the best.