Review of an app to help you keep your home tidy

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/13/review-of-an-app-to-help-you-k.html

4 Likes

I’m becoming suspicious of any app that does what I can already do with paper. Why do you need my password and location again?

8 Likes

Can’t you see the dishes in the sink? What about the dust on the floor and furniture? Smell kind of funny? If you can’t answer these questions you need the app, otherwise probably not.

7 Likes

Looks like a handy app! I think I’ll buy it for my housekeeper.

(Looks in mirror and says to self, "Check out this app I bought for you.)

10 Likes

I’m especially disturbed that changing the cat’s water is 2 days overdue. :pouting_cat:

9 Likes

I’m sure I can find some toady to clean house for me.

1 Like

11 Likes

What’s a mop?

Is the “floor” the smooth layer that’s underneath my ground stuff?

4 Likes

From the linked review:

Tidy tribesters who have read this far are, no doubt, wondering why it is that we untidy folks need an app and can’t simply look around the house and see those magazine piles or dirty toilet seat. Just remember that we untidy folks lack the visual acuity to see messes, kind of like how dogs can’t see things that aren’t moving. We need all the help we can get.

11 Likes

It uses the Infinity Pool, it takes 5 days! Then I need to hash and salt my heartbeats before committing them to the fitness app. You’re 23 years too young to quantify me, Hadoop-based backslider that should otherwise be getting better super fast. I am inventing things that will be wrong with the toilet seat 8 years out.

17 Likes

Especially for stuff that builds up gradually. If the dog pukes on the rug, or you fill up the sink with dishes after a big home-cooked dinner, those are big sudden changes. The buildup of dust on the bookshelves or stank in the sheets is much easier to be blind to since it changes so little from day to day.

3 Likes
  1. One bowl, one spoon, (etc.) per resident. Keep the rest of your dining ware inconveniently stored far away from the kitchen.

2. Dust mop for the floor, the hell with anything else. Even better if you get one with an in-line reservoir of cleaning solution that can be sprayed on the floor as you mop.

\3. For kitchen trash:

• Two rubbish bins, one for perishable/high moisture stuff (coffee grounds, tea leaves, veggie cuttings) and one for non-perishable (used paper towels, empty waxed cartons, wrappers, etc.). Here’s where most people screw up: the perishables bin should be no larger than 10L for 1-2 residents (+2L for each additional resident who cooks).

• (Eco-friendly alternative) Compost perishables. Use a compost bin whose lid has an odor filter. Even better, make your own using a scrap of upholstery polyfill and powdered zeolite; hand-wash and re-powder as needed.

For laundry: Choose a laundry day and stick to it, regardless of how much needs to be washed. If you regularly accumulate lots of stinky activewear, get a small hamper for such articles and throw in a couple packets of coarse zeolite at the bottom to eliminate the odor. You might also want to consider replacing that activewear; odor stains are that tenacious. On that note: heat sets odor stains. Launder your activewear on cold wash and hang to dry. Detergents these days are formulated to be effective even in cold water. No need for hot water unless you have dust mite allergies or bed bugs. Add some powdered zeolite to the next wash if there is any lingering odor.

ETA: If you’ve been wondering ‘What the hell is zeolite?’, google ‘OdorZout’ (not to be confused with Zout, which is an enzyme spot cleaner). This is the same stuff behind the magic of ‘odor control’ kitty litter and it is crazy effective.

6 Likes

You guys need to fix the closing tag on your link!

“Tody (a mash up of today, tidy, and to-do, I guess). Here’s his review<./a>”

Flashbacks:
. . . Living on the USS Jacksonville for 48 months taught me to save space.

After the Navy I lived down south for 2 years.

With the exception of my frying pan, everything for the kitchen fit in one shoe-box: 2 each of plates, pieces of silverware, glasses, etc.

When I moved out of my apartment the mgmt. actually called the maint. guy to pull out the dishwasher and confirm the serial number because it “Looks too new Mr. xxxx”

1 Like

And what do you suppose they would have done had the numbers not matched? Docked you for replacing the dishwasher with a newer one?

3 Likes

And for that matter, how does the exterior of a worn out dishwasher even compare with a fine one? I run mine daily, even multiple times a day, and it still looks as good as it did when we bought it. Granted, the refrigerator and the stove are worse for wear…

If it was the last apartment I lived in they would’ve kept my deposit for damages and charged me for leaving stuff behind.

1 Like

I once had a landlord who tried to charge me $50 to replace a burned out lightbulb. He had a whole list of damages I supposedly made to the place, including furniture marks on the carpet. When I pointed out that the local ordinances allowed for “reasonable wear and tear,” and that I worked for a law firm, he relented and refunded the whole amount.

6 Likes

3 Likes

beyond the possibility of a warranty needing numbers to match, I’ve got no clue.