Review: Popcake PC-11 Pancake Extruder

Pro tip: that fascia panel with the single button pulls down to reveal a proper keypad, on which one can specify multiple pancakes at once (well, in sequence, not as a single huge pancake).

And no, the ‘batter tank’ doesn’t last long at all, at least in the context of a busy hotel.

10 Likes

@falcor, @beschizza, I appreciate your efforts, but still no vicarious pancake joy for me…

How about now?

6 Likes

I really dislike that “OK” button.

It just looks so unsatisfying to press. Gimme a click! Gimme some travel!

I actually get errors on all of the videos on the Boing Boing TV channel. Some are the “not available in your country” message, others say “The uploader has not made this video available” (the PIG GOAT BANANA CRICKET video for example).

Yes, this embed worked for me. The one on the main page still doesn’t work (I use the blog view), nor does the one from the YouTube page.

1 Like

Just glad you got to see it!

1 Like

Yes, they were dense and bland and almost impossible to cut with a plastic knife…

I’m thinking you could probably tinker with the batter recipe to find flavor and texture more to your liking (if you do shell out the $2500 you’re rather implored to do so…)

One would also hope that you could adjust the temperature, roller speed and pressure on the machine itself, so that you might find the optimal parameters for a perfect fluffy pancake.

the two pancakes […] emerge from the brown-streaked teflon rollers and fall onto your plate with a rubbery slap.

If I ever write fiction, I’m going to use this as some kind of metaphoric birth imagery.

1 Like

Kickass 16 x 2 LCD - nice!

I love the future, but it desperately needs a dot-matrix printer noise to match the tractor feed delivery paradigm. And a syrup chute.

10 Likes

Now working on the front page too, thanks!

Where’s the John Henry of pancakes when you need him/her?

2 Likes

We tend to get the messy DiY waffle makers, wholly dependent on the batter provided and range from acceptable to at least it’s free. Those “pancakes” though look wonderfully unappetizing. I think maybe it’s just that any food process that uses extrusion is inherently unappetizing (except bakery piped frosting).

2 Likes

I saw one of these for the first time last month. Most 'cakes were proper single cakes, but one was shaped like … something.

5 Likes

I have been much, much happier with the quality of the DIY waffle makers. The pancakes taste exactly like how you think a machine made pancake would taste, I think the wonderful phrases "rubbery slap,’ “leathery texture,” and “dense and bland” should give you a very good idea of exactly how much jam you’ll want to pick up (the fake syrup is a non-starter, don’t even suggest it).

4 Likes

Coming from the land of maple trees all this fake table syrup stuff offends me so much… like on a genetic level… (someone once tried to tell it was BETTER than maple syrup!!)

9 Likes

I have never seen you this happy. My worldview was just modified a bit.

9 Likes

I am a syrup snob too, having lived in Vermont for 25 years. I’d rather put strawberry jam on my pancakes & waffles than use fake syrup. Fake syrup should all be poured down a drain and flushed to the sea, as far as I’m concerned, but then I’d be worried about the fish and whales. Maybe incinerate it instead or design a car that runs on it.

4 Likes

We were road tripping through Vermont and stopped for breakfast and they had FAKE syrup! Even the waitress was embarrassed. So we asked if she minded if we went out to the camper and brought ours in. LOL - three other tables asked if they could have the syrup “when they’re done with it” - LOL - nope, sorry, thats coming with us! Tsk tsk random resto in Vermont! I’ve been dining out on this story for years!

7 Likes

That’s a good one. Yes, even in Vermont, people are stupid. To their defense, maple syrup is expensive and there are even stupider people who slosh it all over their plate then it goes down the kitchen drain in the back of the restaurant. So, I can mildly understand why they might not want to serve it. Most low-end places in VT will let you buy a tiny bottle of the real stuff for a buck or two. The other medium- to higher-end places will give you a glass or metal cup with warmed-up real stuff.

What do they do at diners in Canada? How is it served?

1 Like