Reviving the GWB-era American Apology shirt for the Trump era

Or just take a secessionist bent.

2 Likes

Actually I spent a month in Italy and the UK and the only negative word I heard and saw towards the US and Bush was an Australian woman, and some signs protesting Blair (and I think Bush) near Parliament. So it wasn’t the average person holds all 300 Million Americans responsible for the President.

Ironically, in Italy I met several pro-Bush and pro-American’s at this bar. Though maybe they just wanted me to keep drinking…

At any rate - I’d rather share the gospel of KMFDM than apologize for some guy I didn’t vote for.

1 Like

you could always claim, you’re from London.

Which language tipped you off to this?
I tripped over the same thing with Russian and had to click through to make sure that there were, in fact, gendered versions of the shirt. There are. Not only that, but there are four versions: Girl, boy, woman, and man. Now I’m very curious to know which language has distinct grammar forms for boy vs. man.

3 Likes

The general perception in the UK was that the Americans that were travelling abroad were most likely not Bush supporters. I imagine the same will be true with Trump.

I do remember seeing an awful lot of maple leaf patches on rucksacks though.

8 Likes

Someone needs to put “Coastal Elite” on a trucker hat.

3 Likes

9 Likes

I think it’s a sizing thing and not a grammar thing.

That being said, now I’m legitimately curious as to if there are any grammar differences. Many languages have different forms when talking to a man, boy, woman, or girl, but I don’t know of any where the grammar is different for a boy, man, woman, or girl doing the talking.

1 Like

The pictured shirt on the post is for women. In Russian, ‘I didn’t vote for him.’ uses the feminine ending on the verb ‘voted’.

5 Likes

I sure as heck didn’t wear that but did have to deal with lots of smug white non-Americans and a few smugger white Americans back then.

Looks like the smug pandemic is back.

1 Like

Drat; I was hoping to get a datapoint about one of the other languages :slight_smile:

That’s exactly where I am at.

1 Like

The Tee-shirt I want will state that I’m from another solar system. I’ll just tell people I’m only passing through because the entire Universe knows Earth won’t last much longer after the unfortunate election of a pathological criminal.

1 Like

There’s also a mistake in the sentence construction of the Russian. There should be a comma after “Извените.”

Those poor real Canadians! Everyone thought they were Americans with something to hide.

7 Likes

They aren’t?

5 Likes

I still have my “We’re not all jerks” shirt. Still in good condition too. I guess that what happens after you retire it for 2 years, and store it for 8.

1 Like

“Captain Pussygrab” :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Weirdly there was a pro-Trump demonstration in Melbourne, Australia yesterday.

1 Like

Not a huge fan of these shirts, personally. In the Dubya days it was like, America’s running illegal wars-for-profit on two fronts, pushing fucked up “anti-terror” surveillance laws on its own citizens and all its allies, death was being visited on innocent civilians by the score, but what’s important to you with your t-shirt is that everybody knows it’s not your fault, and you take no responsibility for it.

Great. Fantastic. What a weight off my mind.

Not that I’ve ever seen such a shirt in the wild, mind you.

@LearnedCoward: In French, self-describing adjectives take on the gender of the speaker, so “sorry” is “désolé” if you’re male and “désolée” if you’re female.

7 Likes

Same for Spanish and Russian. What I don’t know is if there are languages whose grammar changes if the speaker is an adult or child.

1 Like