Rich, admitted child rapist granted probation because he "would not not fare well" in prison [trigger warning]

Say no to drugs.

My general theory is that a large amount of what appears to be racism is actually classism. That is, white people don’t have a problem with African-Americans, they have a problem with trashy poor people (irony implicit). What’s racist is assuming someone is poor based on the fact of their race.

In other words, the prejudice itself is classist, but the initial assumption of class is racist.

1 Like

Now, hey. Money doesn’t get rich white folks out f a jail sentence; people get rich white folks out of a jail sentence. Don’t go blaming the money, now…

3 Likes

The man deserves a bullet. Not prison, definitely not rehab. A bullet to the base of the skull.

People like this always reoffend. Period. They can’t be cured, they can’t be fixed, they can’t be monitored, they can’t be persuaded. They need to be put down.

Mark my words, he will do it again, and will be smarter about not getting caught.

Did you even read the linked article? I read it and it doesn’t change my view that if this guy wasn’t the heir to an enormous fortune there might have been a significantly different outcome.

If your view is simply that it’s possible to imagine hypothetical counterfactuals, I’m not sure what the point is there. If there’s evidence this judge regularly sentences people who plea bargain to a 4th degree sexual assault to prison, and this is one of the few exceptions to that pattern, then you’ve got a point. I haven’t seen that.

The irony is how many people lose their anti-mandatory minimum religion the second judges actually exercise discretion.

Anyway, the article is the source of the claim that, as Cory Doctorow repeats in the original post,

Delaware Superior Court Judge Jan Jurden sentenced the admitted serial child-rapist to probation on the ground that he “would not fare well” in prison.

That claim appears to be highly likely to be false. This should give people pause about the entire narrative being put forward here.

1 Like

How is it false? It was a notation made by the judge. It’s the very first sentence in the article. Aside from having to get testimony from children, part of her consideration for treatment versus prison was that he could pay for it, instead of taxpayers footing the bill while in prison. But that still goes back to being wealthy has a weighted advantage in terms of justice.

2 Likes

You’re spending too much time over at the Perkins’ house again, aren’t you?

Is there a good answer to that question?

Wait . . . I thought the wealthy were the new persecuted minority?

7 Likes

I agree that classism is growing in stature next to racism every day, but racism is still quite real.

Basically the story is a rich guy getting off scott free for a crime any of the rest of us would have gone to prison forever for. It would appear he got a sweet deal from the DA rather than from the judge? People may be harping on the particular phrase, but the real outrage is about the two-tiered justice system.

4 Likes

According to that (thanks for the link, btw), he was sentenced to a sex offender treatment program as part of the probation. Two types of people are known to be the least likely to respond to treatment: pedophiles and sociopaths. In the case of a pedophile who grew up in a deprived and/or depraved environment, I imagine treatment could possibly help. This guy? Not so much.

1 Like

DuPont. In Delaware. Think “Kennedy in Massachusetts,” only the Kennedys are just rich and powerful-- they don’t own the major industrial company in Massachusetts to boot.

One of Richards’ cousins, John Eleuthère DuPont, was convicted about 15 years back of killing a wrestling coach whose team trained on his property. It happened on the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware/PA line, and he was sentenced to 20-40 years in prison, despite more than ample evidence of schizophrenia. No question whatsoever that if he’d been in Delaware, he would have been in a private mental hospital (he died in 2010).

2 Likes

Further proof that people will complain about anything.

looks like he belongs on the Group W bench.

No, really, he does.

I know I’m late to the party here, and I haven’t read all the comments, but is it even possible to rehabilitate someone who did such a thing?

The world might yet get a days work out of him?

1 Like

In other unrelated news to take place in the mid-near future, Delaware Superior Court Judge Jan Jurden will have resigned his position to take a legal consulting job for an undisclosed sum for a corporation in the Virgin Islands who ownership could not be determined.

1 Like

Judge Jurden imposed a sentence of eight years in prison suspended in favor of eight years of probation with strict conditions. Those conditions included the completion of a rigorous residential and outpatient treatment program for sex offenders, close monitoring during the entire probation with zero tolerance for violations (which would reinstate the prison sentence), and no contact with children (including the defendant’s own children). This defendant has completed the sex offender program and has spent more than five years on intensively monitored probation under the supervision of Delaware’s highly trained Probation and Parole office with no violations of parole.

2 Likes

I hope whoever kills him is “too delicate for prison” too.

1 Like

He confessed.

1 Like