Rich people are killing trees to improve their views, despite massive fines

Could dig up the soil, land fill it, then replace with clean soil and plant some new mature trees.

3 Likes

If there’s excess seeping into the ocean, it sounds really contaminated. They better get a good survey and remediate, or the property value will be negative.

2 Likes

Shipping container wall!

5 Likes

Visuals make this sort of story.

8 Likes

If it isn’t one, it should be!

3 Likes

I vote we cut down rich people so we can see trees.

8 Likes

And because we don’t want to waste anything

2 Likes

Well, it’s clear what the problem is and how to solve it. If you illegally cut down or poison trees, then the punishment should normally include: confiscation of the property you own that was intended to benefit from this, and a lengthy prison term. I think that would solve the problem, as it would make it very clear that the State of Maine intends the laws it has protecting trees to be respected.

3 Likes

I think they should be required to replace the trees with comparably sized mature trees that block their views again. And if the poison kills them, dig them up and do it again and again until the things live for at least 10 years.

And while they’re waiting for the replacements to arrive, they should get to enjoy a view of scaffolding covered with blue tarps. At their expense.

They shouldn’t get to enjoy the fruits of the poisoned tree.

ETA I just saw the story above about the council using conexes to serve as a surrogate view blocker. Well done!

7 Likes

…but marinate them well, and keep antacid handy!

1 Like

This is yet another argument for taking the approach Finland does: proportional fines based on income (and I’d add wealth).

6 Likes

“Could such a system work in the U.S.?”

That question would best be phrased as, “Could the US have the will to do the same?”

3 Likes

The author was cautiously optimistic, but much has changed since 2018.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.