Richard Dawkins on artificial intelligence, agnosticism, and utopia

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/11/richard-dawkins-on-artificial.html

1 Like

But has Mr. Dawkins tried to not listen to what Mr. Musk has to say for 2 weeks and then consider wether or not his life has been impacted?

9 Likes

Richard Dawkins is one of my heroes. I think it’s a common belief that agnosticism and atheism are 2 separate states, when they are actually 2 continuums. I’m pretty sure I learned that from a Richard Dawkins talk.

Agnostic v Gnostic v Atheist v Theist

2 Likes

No. I really don’t.

19 Likes

Whoa, whoa, whoa - no fairies? He’s a madman who must be stopped!
I dunno about this Musk worship, either. As far as I can tell, Musk’s greatest accomplishment was convincing people electric cars were luxury items, allowing him to put really expensive batteries in them.

4 Likes

You forgot “sexist dickbag” in that little hagiographic intro up there.

13 Likes

Doesn’t account for someone like me. I don’t think there is a god/ are gods, but I really hope the version I like exists.

2 Likes

Maybe hope is another continuum. I identify as an agnostic atheist, but I hope a got exists too.

1 Like

I like the idea of x, y, z axis! If we can add even more, it might begin to approximate the actual complexity of the universe(s) in which we find ourselves!

2 Likes

Why limit yourself to 3 Dimensions? Go full R. Buckminster Fuller and declare there are four Synergic Dimensions.

I have a strong non-believe-non-faith in you that given time, a pattern will emerge that ties it all together.

1 Like

LOL! I’ll be sure to include Fuller in a future sermon. :wink:

1 Like

Hm. Where on this chart would be “doesn’t care one way or another”?

5 Likes

By the Easter Bunny.

1 Like

God isn’t a continuum; it’s a category error.

1 Like

I initially thought Elon was a real asshole from what I read, but his track records shows that he can deliver pretty damn amazing things, and not just talk. He deserves the credit he’s given. Yeah, nobody has to, but listening to him doesn’t make you a dick either (liking and defending the dick behavior, however, does).

It’s not just that he thinks it’s more important to worry about the sexism in Islamic Fundamentalist societies, it’s that he gets goddamn livid at the mere suggestion that there may be a sexism problem within the “rationalist” movement and immediately jumped to attack “ultra privileged” women for bringing attention to it.

Basically his stance on the issue is “we aren’t the ones forcibly cutting off clitorises so maybe you Western feminists should just shut the fuck up.”

7 Likes

Yeah Dawkins doesn’t so much have a concern about sexism in Islamic Fundamentalist societies as he uses that as a convenient way to attack all of Islam, Arabs, and Levantine ethnic groups that tend to be Muslim. You can tell by the way he also uses the treatment of women in Muslim, Arab, and African societies to completely dismiss any and all concerns about gender bias in any other context. When you get to the point where you’re telling women that they haven’t experience sexism because little girls in Africa have been subjected female circumcision. And the real problem is totally Muslims! You’ve sort of lost the thread.

Dawkins is a bigot. Always been a bigot. He doesn’t give a shit about rationality. He doesn’t give a shit about the treatment of women. He doesn’t give a shit about oppression, or inequality. He gives a shit about smearing groups he dislikes. And the groups he dislikes are curiously similar to the groups you would assume an older British man dislikes. Cathlics, Arabs, and uppity women.

Hitchens was worse. When so many of the foundational figures of your “movement” are the same sort of asshole. I’m shocked anyone was surprised by the social biases embedded in the skeptic/new atheist movement.

6 Likes

13 Likes

Well, if your version has no problem with me sleeping in on the weekends, then you and I are on the same page.

5 Likes

‘The one place Gods inarguably exist is in our minds where they are real beyond refute, in all their grandeur and monstrosity.’ – Alan Moore

4 Likes