Richard Hatch of 'Battlestar Galactica' has died. He was 71

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/07/richard-hatch-of-battlestar.html

2 Likes

Hatch was a damn fine awesome Dude. We bumped into him down on the beach here in San Diego a few times, totally laid back guy and a smile on his face for the whole human race. Travel well into the night Captain Apollo.

19 Likes

So say we all.

16 Likes

Frak…

18 Likes

He was very supportive of the BSG reboot despite his own thwarted (but extensive and expensive) efforts to revive the old series in the 1990s. In a town where ego too often wins out over humility Hatch stands out as a class act.

14 Likes

Wow. That brings back memories. RIP

4 Likes

So say we all!

EDIT: Ninja’ed! DOH!

6 Likes

Met him once at a convention in SLC. He was a cool guy.

edit:

http://imgur.com/Ep9AxK8

8 Likes

it’s hard to explain in retrospect for people who weren’t kids back then, but the original BSG was like water in the desert to kids like me, helping us get our pop-culture sci-fi fix in while waiting for a new Star Wars movie to come along. i mean, it wasn’t the best sci-fi, but it was something, and it was fun. the cast had a great time, apparently, and mr. Hatch was so likeable. like him, i was against the BSG reboot but after i saw it, i was 100% on board. his Tom Zarek character was great, and i’m glad he got to be a part of it. RIP sir, and thank you for so many fond memories.

14 Likes

His portrayal of Tom Zarek in Battlestar Galactica was just amazing. He was a duplicitous, manipulating, but principled character, and he must have been incredibly difficult to portray because he was so internal. But Richard Hatch was able to do it, letting us in where no spoken line could go. For example, look at his face at the end of “Bastille Day” - you can see the wheels spinning multiple layers deep in his head as he is simultaneously given everything he asked for and exactly what he least wanted.

7 Likes

The CGI boke my heart, and i didnt watch it until well after the final season aired. But wow, that was a fantastic show most of the way through.

6 Likes

That is a great description. I was too young to realize they reused the same FX shots over and over. Man I LOVED the Cylons. They creeped me out. I remember a recurring dream where I was in a circle of them and they were just chanting something.

I have the exact pic shown on the front page autographed. I might end up getting Starbuck/Face to sign one too, as he will be at a local horror con this year.

4 Likes

i still dream of making an original series cylon costume for halloween. hasn’t happened yet, but it COULD happen.

4 Likes

I liked Zarek but also had to laugh at him and his bumblings. Like any bad guy in Scoobie Doo, Zarek almost always gets away with it.

“Nicely played” is an endearing Zarek quote we use around the house, like after a small prank or a well timed fart… Etc. :slight_smile:

Did you see Dirk go “bro” over the reboot? I wouldnt give that misguided soul my money.
And now I cant sit through all the celebrated womanizing of the original series either.

1 Like

A bit of trivia: http://www.battlestargalactica.com/ is/was owned by Richard Hatch (Something about Universal spelling it wrong for their website)

On the landing page:
HATCH FAMILY STATEMENT

February 7, 2017 – Paul Hatch, on behalf of the Hatch family and friends, is sad to confirm the passing of his beloved father Richard Lawrence Hatch, who passed away in Los Angeles, California this afternoon.

He died peacefully with his family and friends at his side after a battle with pancreatic cancer.

Richard was well known to legions of fans for his roles as Captain Apollo in the original Battlestar Galactica television series and also as Tom Zarek in the 2003 remake of the series.

Born May 21, 1945 in Santa Monica, Richard was an actor, writer, and producer best known for his role as Captain Apollo in the original Battlestar Galactica television series, and also as Tom Zarek in the 2003 remake of Battlestar Galactica.

After beginning his career in Off Broadway theatre, in 1970 he joined the cast of All My Children and then went on to become a fixture as a guest star on numerous hit TV series and movie for television, eventually replacing Michael Douglas as Karl Malden‘s partner in the Streets of San Francisco.

In 1978 his starring role in Battlestar Galactica brought him worldwide recognition as well as a Golden Globe nomination.

In spite of significant roles in other series and motion pictures over the following decades, his connection with the original Battlestar as well as the remake, created an international following among science fiction fans. While continuing his acting career Richard was a popular figure at Comic Book conventions, science fiction forums and even hosted his own cruise ship events.

Further information on memorial services and tributes can be found at: www.RichardHatch.com

3 Likes

I thought it a nice reminiscence for him to play a role in the new series. Playing an important role was even better than a simple cameo. So unlike Dirk Benedict who was kind of a dick about the new series.

4 Likes

I had not seen that. Amazing and hilarious. Feminists ruin everything! LOL

7 Likes

4 Likes

That’s him, but my lip reading fu is weak.

2 Likes