Ride a motorcycle? Love living? Get this

Originally published at: Ride a motorcycle? Love living? Get this | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Hi Seamus! I do love living, & do love some of the living, & am glad you are still among us! The link to comment on your other post (about the novel) leads back to the top of the main page. It’s been an ongoing problem with some posts; I’ve alerted orenwolf.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Thanks for the head’s up! Also, it’s good to be back!

2 Likes

Airbag Hip Protectors have been on the market for a few years new.

IIRC, broken hips in elderly people lead to 80% mortality within 18 months.

*Edit for spelling,

1 Like

I know that many riders probably disagree but I like the fact that the final example he was showing is in the nerdy hi-visibility day-glo yellow. So many bikers love the all-black aesthetic, and I admit that dressing like the Fonz is objectively cooler, but it really is much more dangerous than bright colors! Studies have shown that even the difference between wearing a white vs. black helmet makes a statistically significant difference. When you’re riding a motorcycle (or, in my case, a little vintage Vespa) you need all the advantage you can get in order to not get creamed by an SUV or truck with a 5’ tall hood and distracted driver.

2 Likes

I’m not a motorcycle rider, but I’ve seen a couple of this dude’s videos float across the BoingBoings, and man, do I lovehate this guy’s delivery. It’s kind of peak douche combined with peak Youtube voice but once I start watching, I can’t stop! I also appreciate that he really knows his stuff, so that is probably the balm that makes it bearable / enjoyable.

2 Likes

If you want to know how self aware he is, go watch the tire plug video. It’s very recent, and might have been the one before the airbag video.

4 Likes

OK, that was pretty amusing:

4 Likes

The high tech motorcycle race versions are a winter coat and some tweaks to the trigger limits away from what you just described.

I think the thing that has me looking seriously at these is the over-the-shoulder portion of the system. I have been in a bad wreck in a race car with a HANS system that saved me from whiplash, and a friend went down hard a couple years ago. The bike hit the inside of his knee and broke his leg, his torso slammed into the ground and broke a few ribs and his head snapped sideways hard enough that the base of the helmet broke his collar bone. He was out for months (he’s fine now, and riding just as hard as ever). He couldn’t use crutches because of the collar bone. The air bag wouldn’t have helped with the leg, but should have saved him from the collar bone and probably the ribs, which would have gotten him moving around faster.

I have other friends who love their helite air bags and have been saved by them.

Anyway, that neck protection is really hard to get otherwise, and this is the only thing that stays out of the way until you need it.

1 Like

d5917d19a5cf8aea4f15b398204c37a576fde323_phixr

4 Likes

I don’t have a motorcycle, just happy to see your byline again! Welcome back!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.