Motorcycle racer and journalist try out jacket integrated airbags

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/05/motorcycle-racer-and-journalis.html

2 Likes

Looks a fair bit more restrictive than the Helite.

1 Like

I think coverage is about the same but the helmet immobilization looks less intense than the Helite or HitAir. I think its abdomen/chest/collar bone protecting and not the arms.

1 Like

I love the idea of these things, but my one concern is that civilian versions all seem to use a tether system for deployment. I’m guessing 90% of deployments in real life are the result of forgetting to detach the tether.

2 Likes

It is pretty damn hard to pop the gas just by stepping off the bike. It takes a really good yank. I have forgotten it is there many times, stepped off the bike and felt the tug. I am sure I’ve come no where near the force it takes to set off the cartridge.

3 Likes

Well that’s comforting. I’m imagining what a big dork I’d look like stepping off a bike and blowing up like a juiced bodybuilder. I don’t ride anymore but when I get back to it, I’ll get one.

The one I wear appears a bright yellow construction vest, so I look redonkulous whenever I ride. Its so funny to me, I have this beautifully maintained cafe style jacket that I’ve loved for years and cover it with a yellow tarp.

I LOVE LIVING

4 Likes

Just prior to a crash, and I’ve had a few, I beseech the Blessed Sister of Acceleration to save me, it’s never worked so far.

5 Likes

I don’t even have a motorcycle, but that clip sure gave me a lot of ideas. Can I rent one just for a weekend?

I’m asking for a friend.

2 Likes

Renting motorcycles is usually pretty hard, because of the liability. Do you have a license? If you live in the right area, it’s probably pretty easy to rent a scooter which is always a good intro. And you may even be able to take your motorcycle test on a scooter too.

2 Likes

Oh, no - I didn’t want to rent a motorcycle, I wanted to rent the inflatable vest!

I watch a lot of Jackass and Ridiculousness…

6 Likes

Haha. Maybe you should invest in one of these instead;

1 Like

Hee-hee! I live in Colorado, and I hate being cold. I have, indeed, thought about donning one of those inflatable T-rex suits and just flinging myself down a ski run.

3 Likes

Those slow motion scenes of a young man and woman running towards each other might have a very different ending…

2 Likes

Man, she is the best hostess I think I’ve ever seen. I have zero interest in motosport, but her personality sucked me in!

Poster needs to provide “go to time” info. Link is a waste of time w/r/t finding promised content.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.