Ring's new security drone for inside your home talks to Alexa, isn't creepy at all

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/24/rings-new-security-drone-for-inside-your-home-talks-to-alexa-isnt-creepy-at-all.html

2 Likes

It also doesnt appear to have any sort of armnament capacity whatsoever, which makes it seem entirely worthless.

21 Likes

Who are these people who are so afraid while in their home that they feel the need to have a drone constantly surveilling everything?

10 Likes

The internet will need to expand in order to accommodate the additional volume of cat videos that will be generated. Those drones don’t stand much of a chance in certain homes.

9 Likes
6 Likes

When I first read about this, my response was, and still is: Ha ha ha, fuck no.

But watching the video, the idea that a burglar, confronted with a drone, would be inspired to run away seems laughable. I mean, it’s not like they’re in any more immediate risk of being caught than they were when the alarm went off. Locally, cops aren’t going to respond to a burglary, even in progress, burglars expect security cameras (and thus wear masks), and the inhabitants obviously aren’t home, so…

7 Likes

A $250 cat toy, you say?

16 Likes

Honestly, I like the fact that the camera is physically blocked by the charging dock so it’s pretty obvious when this thing is looking at you, unlike, say, the creepy cameras on a laptop, phone, nanny cam, or any number of other connected devices. It also isn’t always listening to you like Alexa. (I had to seriously hack up my Alexa to ensure it couldn’t hear me when I wasn’t talking to it, and honestly it might still be listening and just pretending not to.)

9 Likes

As a gamer i’ve been training my whole life to avoid detection from from NPCs with predictable pathing in a stealth scenario.

14 Likes

I figured the main use of it would be to see your cats doing stupid stuff while you’re out. Or watch them snooze.

1 Like

2.0 will…

VpHG5T3

14 Likes

I was gonna say. As a multi-cat household, this will be AWSOME to terrorize monitor them when we’re away…

9 Likes

4 Likes

No thank you. Not my home.

1 Like

Now if were blessed with 40 acres and could have these stationed around the border to follow intruders picked up on trail cameras or something similar? Sign me up. Alas for the my suburban lot that doesn’t even measure a half acre? I can’t imagine a scenario where I want a drone security camera.

Drones like that DO exist but are pretty damn expensive.

4 Likes

My burglary insurance claim is going to be mostly security devices. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

How long before the cops have the capability to backdoor your drone to get the jump on you as they conduct a no-knock raid and kill you at the wrong address specified in the rushed-job warrant?

7 Likes

A spot robot could maybe do the job. You’d want something which can drag the bodies to your lime pit of course.

3 Likes