RIP, Bill Rieflin, drummer for King Crimson, KMFDM, Swans, NIN, Ministry, Pigface, and many others

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/24/rip-bill-rieflin-drummer-for.html

10 Likes

What, no way, that sucks!

Greatest drummer of my generation, hands down.

I should say that a cursory scan of some of my CDs shows this discography to be incomplete.

A couple of nice character quotes:

And Ian MacKaye:
https://www.remhq.com/news/bill-rieflin-by-ian-mackaye/
We may be drifting into legend here…

13 Likes

So sad. What an amazing career, I don’t know if anyone can match his musical CV.

7 Likes

sigh…

7 Likes

had the great opportunity to see him play with king crimson but never realized he was also responsible for the insane drumming on parts of the soundtrack to my teen angst.

4 Likes

He never got enough credit. Chris Connelly had written that in the late 80’s/ early 90’s Bill was the third member of Ministry even though he was credited more like a studio musician. He was a part of the writing process.

8 Likes

I heard last year he was pretty sick from Cancer. He did a lot of work with KMFDM back in the day. Skimming through the catalog, here are two good ones he did work on.

5 Likes

In order to deal with the immediate timeline, I’ve decided to give up human feelings for the next year, so this, this, doesn’t bother me at all…

2 Likes

Oh, one thing I just found out. I knew that Francesca Sundsten did the art for KMFDM’s Nihil, the only non BRUTE! art for the regular issued albums. I didn’t know she was married to Bill and died last year. :frowning:

1 Like

The question that I’m left with, the question that I’ll never be able to answer is, why don’t I listen to
Swans every minute of every day.

2 Likes

I like a lot of Swans…but they do start gnawing at your attachment to reality after a while.

2 Likes

Hm… you seem to have made a rather large assumption.

1 Like

I mean, given current reality… is that an entirely BAD thing?

1 Like

I think it’s axiomatic that wherever The Swans are taking you, it isn’t better.

1 Like

Maybe, just maybe, they take different people to different places? And wherever they took me over the past decades, I always felt blissfully alive listening to them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.