RIP Brady Bunch mom Florence Henderson

I saw her interviewed a few years back and she was charming and witty to the end.

2 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/VintageLosAngeles/photos/a.121200214603373.17841.121097987946929/1254172567972793/?type=3&theater

3 Likes

You know what? No. I get to feel sad about the death of people whose work has been meaningful in my life. Do I feel that as much as I felt the deaths of family members I lost this year? Of course not. But that doesn’t mean I don’t feel it as a loss for our world.

6 Likes

I think he’s getting heat for telling us our feelings are invalid. Yeah, we’re not dumb. We’re aware that as people age, they die. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck and that we can’t feel sad about it. I don’t really appreciate being told to suck it up when this year, by all metrics (personal and culturally) has been a shit show. Of course aging means losing things and people that made our world have meaning. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t feel something about it. Just because it happened in the past and it’s a part of life doesn’t mean it’s still not painful.

6 Likes

I’ve always known that people die, but the older I get the more it registers with me. When I was little I thought death was an abstract concept. Now that I’m getting older it’s a whole lot less abstract. I’m of the “suck it up buttercup” school of thought, mainly because I know it’s only going to get worse from here on out. Grieve however you want, but I have to suck it up.

I don’t like being told to “suck it up” because I express sadness at the passing of someone. Aunts, step parents, and grandparents also die every day. I wouldn’t take kindly to being told to “suck it up” each time I had a personal loss like that, which I did this year. Expressing public grief at the loss of public figures is perfectly legitimate and isn’t a lack of “sucking it up.”

6 Likes

It is, and I don’t blame you for doing what you have to do. I will do what I have to do, which is suck it up because it’s about to get so much worse.

Okay. Apparently I’m not expressing myself well here.

1 Like

No, I get it. Maybe I’m not wording myself well. You’re saying grieving is acceptable, and you don’t want to be told how to grieve. What I’m saying is that not grieving is also okay, and I don’t mean to tell you or anyone else what to do.

Sure, but I’ve never said that people shouldn’t NOT grieve. @Mister44 just straight up told us to stop making public statements of how we feel. I didn’t think that was necessary.

4 Likes

I didn’t say that. It’s just like, “OMFG, 2016, stop killing people off.” And I thought about and came to the conclusion that the famous people aren’t dying in greater numbers, it’s just the famous people who are dying are those that we are personally both more familiar with, have seen a lot more of, and have a greater connection to. So this problem is just going to get worse as we go. Case in point - Ron Glass just died (Shepard Book from Firefly among other things.)

Obviously the way I presented it didn’t go over the best, as I was going for something over the top and tongue in cheek, but not everyone took it that way. That’s what you get when dealing with a hack amateur.

2 Likes

Okay. Fair enough. If I misunderstood your meaning, that’s on me, not you.

Still good, I hope!

2 Likes

Did not follow her in recent years, but what a performance at the roast of Bob Saget. My own personal favorite performance of hers. After being trashed for 40 minutes her first words were:

"I have not come here to roast Bob Saget.

I have come here to fuck John Stamos."

She will be missed.

5 Likes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.