RIP Google's built-in countdown stopwatch/timer

Originally published at: RIP Google's built-in countdown stopwatch/timer | Boing Boing

5 Likes
14 Likes

I imagine that you can do that through Google Assistant, which is a highly supported API, until it isn’t.

3 Likes

Here is one decent replacement. (i’m sure there are several others; possibly with more ads)

1 Like

Arrested Development Dancing GIF

2 Likes

Timers are probably what I use Alexa for the most.

2 Likes

Is there a similar site that shows useful Google applications that still exist? Because I tend to hear about the most useful ones shortly before they’re cancelled.

11 Likes

Yes. Google.com.

1 Like

Very fitting, but no :heart: because I hate this song.

5 Likes

… 

1 Like

1 Like

Fair enough.

3 Likes

I was in the Google VR group for a few years (before I couldn’t stand working for big G any longer) and it’s weird to see stuff I worked on or was adjacent to in the Google Graveyard. I still have a basically-nonfunctional Tango tablet and a blue Google-Mattel crossover viewmaster headset.

Sad to see TiltBrush on there, too. One of the few genuinely-good VR apps.

3 Likes

I still use the math feature quite a bit. Gas mileage, daily stock gains and losses, whatever. Love it.

So far, it still works for me.

The timer just links to a bunch of websites that are timers, wake-up alarms, and things like that. (Of course, that only happens because I have the Assistant disabled)

1 Like

I stopped using the timer feature months ago when, for whatever reason, it wouldn’t play audio when the countdown reached 0.

I now use Timer, seconding the recommendation above, when I don’t just use the timer feature on my phone.

I wish these articles would offer up alternatives, G isn’t the only search engine that can do this.

1 Like

that did nothing for me sad to say. only brought up links to timer websites

1 Like

Yeah, same. You got to type it in yourself i guess.

1 Like

This is very sad. I use the timer and countdown almost every day.
I guess I’ll have to go old-school and buy a stopwatch now.

Your phone almost certainly has a built-in stopwatch function.

2 Likes