RIP, HR Giger

I’ll admit it, I was a huge ELP fan at age… 13 I think? I had no idea Geiger was still alive; I’ve always thought of him as having lived in some dim, distant golden age together with Plutarch and Jim Morrison.

8 Likes

The man’s work is awesome, no question, but… every time his name comes up, it seems like it’s always the same works of art from decades ago that are featured. Or maybe they just start to look the same after a while?

Giger produced a great deal of work, some of which is quite colourful but rarely featured due to the tendency to focus on the well known ‘nightmarish’ works. The bio published by Taschen is worth obtaining if you’re interested in seeing a more balanced look at his work. As a bonus, his life story is quite fascinating as well.

I’m sure he had no involvement in the computer room where the crew went to ask “Mother” questions. It was lined with egg cartons (!!) and Christmas lights.

1 Like

i wouldnt be so sure about that, since mothers computer room represented a womb

I had never heard this guys name but I instantly recognized his work. It is pretty amazing. Pretty ominous stuff. Dark but not evil.

Same.

Wish google / youtube made it possible to see how their traffic spikes when such events happen.

Would like to see some quantification of how powerful nostalgia can be.

1 Like

Trending Now
HR Giger
200,000+ searches

1 Like

That first image transports me to the waning stages of my first experience with LSD. A friend and I sat on the couch and tried to make sense of it (unsuccessfully). The eyes. A great night, though it makes me sad to think of it since my friend died several years ago.

A sad loss of a great visionary. Love the note from James Cameron, never read that before.

More to the point, how many people realized it was a picture of a blowjob (which is what Brain Salad Surgery apparently means)?

True story.

Many, many years ago, I sold off many CDs when I needed to make rent. My Danzig collection was in that batch - I had felt at the time that I had outgrown them.

Now, given this opportunity to reflect provided by Giger, I realize I was wrong. Thanks to amazon prime, II and III are back in my library.

This is somewhat personal and embarrassing to admit, but what is life if we don’t learn from our mistakes?

Bonus: I can noodle a little guitar now at my advanced age and can play along with Dirty Black Summer. 16 year old me would be so proud.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.