RIP Sylvia Novak, virtual mortal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/01/rip-sylvia-novak-virtual-mortal.html

1 Like
5 Likes

To my eye gray hair and wrinkles brought her to the uncanny valley. I wonder what it is about fake youth that makes it more convincing.

4 Likes

Blockquote

I suspect that young people created these images & perhaps they haven’t studied closely what real aging looks like. The aging process in their minds seems to involve bad makeup & a wig.

5 Likes

Sorry to see her go. We dated for a while after college. Pretty typical story: we were both kind of rootless and angry at the world in the way that you are when you’re 23, and we found each other. I was trying to convince myself that my “junior white-collar drone” existence was who I was, and she was likewise trying on “angsty barista” as an identity. I mean, maybe “dating” is the wrong word for what we had. It wasn’t as healthy as that word implies. But it certainly was memorable. I remember this one time she dared me to… oh, um, well, never mind. Anyway, my best to her family.

7 Likes

Wait, you were dating her too?

4 Likes

In fairness, that’s often pretty accurate.

4 Likes

New lawsuit that the dems were ballot-stuffing with deceased virtual mortals incoming.

2 Likes

That final post brings to mind the disappearance of favourite commenters here and on other media I follow. There is no resolution for those that remain. Yeah, I’m bit of a sop that way.

5 Likes

computer-generated mortal who lived five decades of life in just 21 weeks

How does that differ what happened to all us flesh-based mortals in 2020?

Yeah, there aren’t great resources for the modeling of aging, and the most common artificial aging we see is Hollywood slapping some make-up on someone, which creates false notions.

2 Likes

Not quite dead but hardly alive.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.