RIP Terry Hall, lead singer of The Specials and The Colourfield

Originally published at: RIP Terry Hall, lead singer of The Specials and The Colourfield | Boing Boing

10 Likes

God dammit! Another one much too young

20 Likes

RIP sir

20 Likes

RIP!

the specials ska GIF

16 Likes

Ghost Town is probably the only song of theirs that i know but i do love that song. Sad to find out that he led a difficult early life, but i’m glad that music became an outlet. Thanks for the jams

8 Likes

The Specials were part of the 2 Tone Ska scene. The music derived from the original Jamaican ska era, but it was a different scene, one of the differences being (as the term 2 Tone indicated) more racially mixed musicians and audience. The Specials came down firmly on the side of inclusion and tolerance, in contrast to some of the skinhead types on the new ska scene that were less tolerant.

14 Likes

Another musical great passes over :cry: :sob:

6 Likes

Man that sucks. “Friday Night, Saturday Morrining,” was the official song for my best friend and I in high school.
63 is way to young, and I don’t just say that as someone who’s rapidly approaching that number!

13 Likes

The Specials version of Enjoy Yourself has been my ringtone for a long time. Likely I’ll never change and when I’m dead and my kids hear the song they will think of me. So, thank you Terry.

9 Likes

Rest in the peace you earned.

8 Likes

From their 2019 album, Vote For me:

And from Warchild’s Help album in the 90s, one of my favourite versions of this song:

9 Likes
11 Likes

were sposed to know this musical section in other ways too

So very sad. Saw them towards the end of their first run. I remember a fistfight between the band members. I think I had blue hair that day too.

RIP Terry

4 Likes
4 Likes

I’m bummed. The only positive thing I got out of my long-ago marriage was an introduction to The Specials. RIP, Terry.

5 Likes
3 Likes

it was the first song that came to mind when i found out last night, felt very poignant and have been listening to it all day.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.