RIP, Terry Pratchett

I first met Pterry in ‘97, I’d read all his books and was standing with a pile of them, patiently waiting along with many others to meet the great man himself. I got to the table and he eyed my pile with amusement. Pulling one book from it he opened it and looked at the stamp I had in each proclaiming ownership.
“Is that really your name?” he asked, curiosity tinging his voice.
"yes, its a middle english word meaning watermeadow’ I replied innocently.
"hmmm…come see me afterwards’ he said, proceeding to briskly emboss and stamp each book.
A little bemused, I hung around the shop as the line slowly diminished and each fan either left clutching their prize to their chests or waited to see what would happen next.
He gave us a reading from the next book in the series ‘Carpe Jugulum’ and then settled back for some pizza.
He motioned me forward with a smile and we got chatting about language and how it had changed over the years.
Then he dropped the bombshell ‘I’d like to use your name in a book…do you mind?’
I remember being somewhat stunned and, naturally blurted out ‘of course, do anything you want with it!’
He gave me his (then) private email address so I could send a permission form, my friends were all green with envy.
A couple of years later when I had almost forgotten about it, I received a call from a friend who was also a fan ‘I hate you so much!; she said. I didn’t know what she was on about ‘Go get 5th Elephant and read it - you bastard’
I hurried to get the new novel (hardback of course) and settled in that evening and could scarcely contain my delight when I found ‘Constable Ping’ had a part.
When we met again he signed my newest books ‘Corporal Ping’ and said “Didn’t I tell you that you got a promotion?”
And so I turned up again in "Night Watch’
We continued to correspond and I last met him in 2012 at the Nullas Anxietus convention in Sydney, he looked frail and tired but still greeted me with enthusiasm, he told me of the plans to make ‘the watch’ tv series and that he’d try to get Cpl Ping a spot in it. We said our farewells on the last day and I knew I’d likely not see him again.
Farewell Sir Pterry, you bought a lot of joy into my life and your books are a treasure I shall pass on.
Love from Corporal Ping

20 Likes