Rising levels of a banned chemical are threatening the ozone layer (again)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/17/oh-ffs.html

1 Like

Well that sucks, especially for those of us down here in New Zealand.

12 Likes

Our species seems driven to destroy all life on earth. We are going to need global solutions. It sucks that this president dropped the ball on the most important problems.

12 Likes

“For all practical purposes, that air conditioner is a part of Ng’s body. Y.T.'s driving around with the worlds only Freon junkie.”

- Neal Stephenson, Snowcrash

https://books.google.com/books?id=RMd3GpIFxcUC&pg=PA240&lpg=PA240&dq=snow+crash+freon+junkie

13 Likes

I’ve come back from the future to let you know this relapse of the Ozone Hole came to be known as the Pruitt Effect.

8 Likes

At least that narrows it down.

1 Like
[...] atmospheric levels of CFC-11 have risen by 25%, eroding the still-healing ozone layer and suggesting that someone, somewhere, has started manufacturing the substance again. No one really knows why you'd make CFC-11. Cheap substitutes are readily available

Sounds like the obvious ploy of an evil genius – “Nations of the World, concede to my demands or I will destroy the ozone layer!”

2 Likes

Wasn’t there always a big issue about how using those “cheap substitutes” would require a costly retrofit of old equipment?

Of course, one might expect that over the course of 30 years, switching to a cheap substitute would ultimately provide substantially greater savings than any such retrofit, but that would require longterm thinking.

3 Likes

oops

3 Likes

Ars Technica explained how they narrowed it down, actually, it’s pretty interesting. An increasing concentration gradient pointed to the Northern Hemisphere, and Hawaii measured it as correlating with industrial emissions, and the researchers modelled the emissions with climate data to narrow it down to there.

4 Likes

I was just thinking that the oceans were the ultimate tragedy of the commons, I may be mistaken.

1 Like

When I worked for E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company I got repeatedly verbally savaged by various PhD chemists for suggesting that we could make money by investing heavily in the development of environmentally sound alternatives to Freon®.

These guys insisted that admitting chemically induced ozone depletion was real was disloyalty, and thought it was a shame I could only be fired, rather than physically punished, for saying such things. They believed that any project that acknowledged environmental concerns was morally wrong and that all environmentalists were dirty hippy traitors to America.

I learned a lot about organizations and tribalism from Uncle Dupie.

In the end, DuPont did what I had suggested, of course, but not until the government basically forced them to.

19 Likes

Killing us and themselves for a filthy dollar.

3 Likes

One of my favourite books of all time.

1 Like

More sunscreen for us then. We already have one of the highest rates of melanoma in the world :frowning:

3 Likes

We don’t have any internal checks on our individual or collective resource consumption. There is a name for biology that operates that way. Cancerous.

3 Likes

Better Living Through Chemistry”

2 Likes

He really is an Ozone Hole

2 Likes

Where is James Bond now that we need him?

1 Like

Any bets on China?