Road rage attacker could avoid jail by proving she is an "expert knitter"

Tarte flambée. Much more poetical as punishment.

3 Likes

The Etsy-correctional institutions would still be terrible, soul-crushing institutions, albeit with more yarn and polymer clay.

Yeah, but you know how hard it is to bake a proper baguette at home?

3 Likes

how should I know? I am not a maker but an eater

3 Likes

It sounds like the road rage was actually on the part of the victim, who didn’t like the accused’s driving and verbally assaulted her. The judge is apparently willing to use discretion and dismiss the facepunch as an out-of-character one-off if the rest of the accused’s story pans out. That seems a reasonable use of judicial discretion to me, someone shouldn’t have their life ruined for impulsively punching an arsehole.

1 Like

So she has 5 months until the hearing?! If she only needs 2 or 3 days to knit a jumper why so much time? I could teach myself to knit from a standing start in 5 months.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it just be easier to go to the store and see if they know her? Maybe have her turn in receipts, or credit card statements of yarn store purchases? Maybe have her show subscriptions to knitting magazines? I am sitting here typing with three cameras on my desk, and I could easily prove through receipts and such that I enjoy photography. Of course if they looked at my pictures, and saw my lack of skill, I would be in jail.

5 Likes

Or just check to see whether she has vastly more yarn that she will ever use. That should be adequate proof.

6 Likes

I think you might still be missing the point. It appears that the judge is using his discretion to impose a ‘sentence’ on the woman that will force he to do something useful with herself - knit some shit then donate it to charity, and not-coincidentally at the same time force her to sit down doing something quiet and reflect on the idea that punching people (even arseholes) probably isn’t the best use of her time.

The easy option would be sending her to jail. But, as they say, for every problem there is a solution that is easy, obvious, and wrong.^

This is the creative option, which overall is likely to result in much greater net benefit to society.

^ yes, I know that isn’t the exact wording Mencken used

4 Likes

Don’t worry, Rob, I got your reference.

All you could ever want and more here: http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/

6 Likes

If she does come up with the goods, she could prove penance by selling them on Regretsy.

2 Likes

Did not expect to see this in BoingBoing! I’m from Dundee and I feel this makes a mockery of the law. If she did assault the victim then no excuses are valid. Give her community service at least.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.