Robert Mugabe, 95, has died

the longtime ruler of zimbabwe has died. he led the country from the beginning of independence until 2017 when the army “convinced” him it was time to retire. Here’s a summary of the basic facts–

this is somewhat more personal for me than it might otherwise have been because i spent 6 days traveling in zimbabwe last july and met several zimbabweans who all had opinions about mugabe and the government there. i wonder how this death will effect them as well as what will be the effect on the present government.

12 Likes

The classic definition of a leader who stayed on too long.

6 Likes

more information here–

11 Likes

finaly! about time this MF leaves earth!

3 Likes

The good die young.

4 Likes

here’s a view of mugabe’s legacy written by a white journalist who met and talked with mugabe in the beginning of his reign–

5 Likes

Woof.

1 Like

Just finished reading the VOX article. One particular thing stood way out for me.

One statistic sums up what Robert Mugabe did for his people: At independence in 1980, the average life expectancy for a Zimbabwean was about 60 years old; by 2006, that had dropped to 37 for men and 34 for women.

Incredibly chilling.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.