Robin Williams, 1951-2014

In 1973, Williams was one of only 20 students accepted into the freshman class at the Juilliard School, and one of only two students to be accepted by John Houseman into the Advanced Program at the school that year, the other being Christopher Reeve.[23] In his dialects class, Williams had no trouble mastering all dialects quickly. Williams left Juilliard in 1976.

Wikipedia

1 Like

8 Likes

His roommate was Kevin Conroy. (Batman and Robin!)

1 Like

Nope. We HAVE TO.

Mostly Iā€™ve been feeling angry about the unfairness of Williamā€™s fate.

Then I saw this, and started feeling so freaking sad:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve gazed down into that abyss, and never had the courage to call. Iā€™m better now, but I wish I had. If youā€™re thinking up reasons not to call: You should call them.

6 Likes

Itā€™s not your fault.

7 Likes

I am sad now. I did not follow much of his work, but movies I watched when I was young simply etched his face into my memory. I did not know this man, but whatever I saw of him was not too far from my personal opinions. I wish he was still with us, and I hope his family will have been given a better context. Take care, everyone.

Fuck. Fuckity fuck. Justā€¦fuck.

6 Likes

And Phillip Seymour Hoffman too in the same year. This is the second time this year Iā€™ve sat down at the computer and read a headline that felt like a physical blow. Iā€™m jaded to most world news; itā€™s not that I donā€™t care as much as my caring one way or another just doesnā€™t seem to matter. But news of the death of a great storyteller, stories that moved me, sometimes deeply, always feels personal and thereā€™s nothing for it but to feel sorrow at the loss. Iā€™ll miss those two very talented actors.

9 Likes

If you havenā€™t yet seen it - go see ā€œA Most Wanted Manā€. It was really an excellent film.

1 Like

Itā€™s hitting me the same way Spalding Grayā€™s death did - that remorseless sense of inevitability, because both were so haunted by torment. And both of them were performers I admired tremendously.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Figures that my ā€œcuzā€ would sum up my sentiment exactly.

1 Like

What a tragedy. What a loss. What a wonderful person. Nothing more I can add - the volume of his creativity speaks for itself.

What a loss. He was a fixture of my childhood in the best possible way. He was a staple of my teen years, turning in some of his most brilliant performances. And he is well respected in my adulthood as an incredibly talented performer who has left us well before his time.

My heart goes out to his family.

5 Likes

Itā€™s weird, because he took those gigs clearly in hope of breaking free of his ā€œcomicā€ persona, like it would make him happier to be thought of as an actor first (one thinks); but working on Insomnia led him back to the bottle. He had a number of films coming out in the next few months, and I understand not all where to pay the bills (so to speak). Weā€™ll never know what was going on in that supercharged mind of his. Iā€™m so sad.

In the past I imagined a parallel dimension where heā€™s just ā€œuncle Robinā€ to somebody, a funny drunkard selling insurance or something; maybe he would have fared better? In the real world, he had a clear talent and took all opportunities he got to make a living out of it; but in the end, he couldnā€™t do it anymore and there was nobody there to physically stop him from walking away. In that parallel dimension, maybe a bitchy wife and ungrateful children would have been there all the time. I donā€™t know, Iā€™m rambling, itā€™s just a great loss, he was a great actor / comedian / geek and by all accounts, a very nice man too.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I winder if he was upset over the death of his dear friend Jonathan Winters last year? Winters has a similar style and managed to live with bipolar, although he was hospitalized at one point.

4 Likes

I too wondered about a possible linkā€¦I guess you never really know what peopleā€™s internal demons are like, about their inner turmoil.

2 Likes