Robot dog picking things up

Originally published at: Robot dog picking things up | Boing Boing

1 Like

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords…

2 Likes

“Mom! The robot dog got out again! It’s in the driveway using chalk to write some word that starts with a backwards R and ends with M!”

Also, can they make a miniature version of this to clean up my clutter?

3 Likes

There’s something about the way it opens its claw that makes it appear entirely too happy.
“I don’t know about you, but that thing with its claws in the air would scare the hell out of me.”
– Walter Curnow, 2010

4 Likes

19a82a06d93a3d620c5ec3277c27cd3e

4 Likes

That’s not a gas valve, its a water valve. Impressive nonetheless. Missing from the video is how the bot dumps out the bucket/retrieves items.

1 Like

Here’s what I realized while watching that video:

1. It can turn on the gas, or create a leak
  2. Enter my bedroom
  3. Drag my lifeless body out into the yard
  4. Dig a hole and put me in it
  5. Hide evidence of the grave with shrubbery
  6. Pick up someone else’s laundry* to plant DNA evidence
  7. Make a chalk outline in a parking lot, to trick the cops

These Lifetime “robot gone wrong” movies practically write themselves!

*Seriously, who flings clothing on the floor like that?

14 Likes

I ask my 10 year old daughter this almost every day.

8 Likes

I thought the video would end with the technician being handed his notice by the robot and then having to live of his savings (if he had any)

The way it pauses with the claw up and open before diving in. Just long enough for you to imagine possibilities.

That claw reminds me of something…

Rod Hull and Emu

3 Likes

Soon: Robot dog turning on gas (and then lighting match)

1 Like

And it can open doors. So it’s more capable than some “intelligent” aliens as depicted in movies. A doorknob is no longer a last line of defense. Alas…

1 Like

This is key. Why does BD always seem to make them this size? For household use it needs to be smaller -about half size

But then, household use in not their target. This sort of video is all about making them seem ‘cute’ so there’s less objection when the police and army start deploying them in anger.

1 Like

Spots_Got_an_Arm

3 Likes

This model is the scaled down-version of the “BigDog” platform they originally built with DARPA money. Their quadruped series of robots has been getting progressively smaller as the technology has developed.

BostonDynamics

2 Likes

Well, they need to keep going. Smaller is better! :wink:

I’m sure they’ll get from “BigDog” to “LapDog” eventually.

4 Likes

Something sized to help out around the kitchen, maybe?

3 Likes

This is why Asimov’s 3 Laws needs an update… “All robots and AIs must have a Big Red Switch, easily accessible to humans.”

1 Like