Robot dogs to patrol U.S. border

Wall sized TVs? Check.
Appliances that play a little song when done? Check.
Book Burnings? Check.
Robot enforcement hounds? Check.

21 Likes

There’s always plenty of low tech solutions to high tech problems.

18 Likes

I fail to see how this brings enough to the table over and above what they can do with standard mass produced flying drones to justify the costs and hassle of training. Flying drones can have sensors, too. And are even better in difficult terrain. And can fly away if in danger.

I can’t help but feel like they want the intimidation factor that traditional dogs provide, combined with the terror that adding robotic to it provides. Because they absolutely don’t need these.

8 Likes

They’re even easier to defeat. RF jamming.

11 Likes

In breaking news, robots patrolling the Tex-Mex Border will be accompanied by sniffer-humans to seek out mines.

6 Likes

8 Likes

I know some older Mexican folks here in TJ who could use a carrier-helper, or maybe even a mechanized burro.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

21 Likes

did anyone see the ceo of boston dynamics on jimmy fallon the other night trying to make them seem cute by having a group of them dancing? my wife thought they were cute and she was a bit miffed when i told her i had seen too many science fiction movies to see them with anything other than existential dread.

22 Likes

Thin edge of the wedge, early stage technology. This is the bulky LCD mid-90s flip phone of the advent of robot ‘patrols’.

20 years from now we’ll remember them with fondness as we cower in our homes after curfew while the dogs pace the streets with wide spectrum scanners. To keep us ‘safe’.

6 Likes

No. No. No. No, no, no, no. No. No. No… NO.

11 Likes

Not to mention “free very expensive robot dogs” to any cartel folks near the border that want to grab one or six.

I’m sure that stolen robotics won’t be misused…

9 Likes
17 Likes

I’m not so sure…

7 Likes

Waterbombs with paint.
For decorative purposes only, of course.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure that if they don’t start out armed, they’re going to end up armed.

10 Likes

hey, wait, we just did that dystopian experiment two years ago—we now know that when the authorities tell people to stay home, people go out and riot against racism and police brutality

those dogs are going to be patrolling the streets to make sure that we get to the pub on time and that we don’t leave before we’ve drunk our quota

7 Likes

Maybe next time the dogs can deliver stuff and lower the risks for the working class so they can stop having to bring stuff to the sheltering middle class…?

They could be used for good, right? Right?

9 Likes

TIME TO TAKE YOUR PILLS, CITIZEN

DOSAGES HAVE BEEN ADJUSTED ACCORDING TO YOUR REVISED MARKETING PROFILE :robot:

10 Likes

Hello, I’m Rags!

I’m looking forward to the robot tailors.

5 Likes

CBP already operates at least ten MQ-9 Reapers. I’m guessing they are effectively unarmed because Hellfire or JDAM munitions are loud and not cheap.

Even at government prices, a buckshot shell is like $2.

So when these dogs shoot random people, will we ever find out or will they just be left to bleed out in the desert?