Robot dogs to patrol U.S. border

The natural progression is to create ‘no go zones’ where anyone who is in that zone is by definition a danger. Big signs warning of the danger etc. Then, when the machines kill people autonomously there won’t even be a record because nobody goes there.

To be honest I’d be amazed if there aren’t already such kill zones in the world. The DMZ in Korea comes to mind.

2 Likes

Yup. That’s probably 90 minutes on the flat test terrain and 30 minutes on sandy inclines.
My guess is this is free extreme field testing for BD, and a picture of the robot standing in front of a bunch of handcuffed immigrants will look great in their promotional materials.

4 Likes

Hey guys, did you know the robot dogs down at the border are free?!
You can just* take them home!
I have five!

*as long as you stash them in a faraday pouch until you get them home and root them

8 Likes

though maybe not in future history books

6 Likes
4 Likes

It would be amusing if all the killer robots turned out to be running the same operating system as a TiVo from 2002

3 Likes

I’m not sure how they’d even work with surveillance. Aren’t the robot dogs loud enough to be annoying, like a drone?

4 Likes

That was the Mark-13. I think they fixed that bug in later versions.

3 Likes

[Toast pops from robot dog head]. “It was pretty much bricked from the get go. I’m too lazy to search for my own updates, so… dog toaster!” [robot dog eyes light up].

6 Likes

And we’re one step closer to the rat things from Snow Crash. I love the book; but hate that its concepts continue to be made real (through no fault of Stephenson’s).

7 Likes

War of the Worlds!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Bad dog, Toby!

7 Likes

I wonder if Ghost’s robots are as easy to disable as the Boston Dynamics version that NYC considered using.

3 Likes

“Root them” means something entirely different here in Australia and explains why I nearly choked on my 5.30am snack.

5 Likes

Sign me up!

1 Like

That show had almost nothing to do with the H. G. Wells story, except for being survival horror during some kind of invasion

but it did have robot dogs, so on topic

2 Likes

the new ones are battery powered

1 Like

Wow, thank you!
I was hoping someone would understand my observation.

1 Like

Apparently they had to change the design to make them look less like the ones in Black Mirror

3 Likes