Robotic parcel sorting facility in China

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/11/robotic-parcel-sorting-facilit.html

3 Likes

What? Those parcels aren’t even robotic!

9 Likes

This factory needs 1000 cats.

19 Likes

I imagine this is what my internal organs are doing when I eat street tacos in Tijuana. Goofy music and all.

9 Likes

How do you know what are in those parcels? Maybe this is a robot factory shipping out robots.

MAYBE… Skynet is getting ready for next Thursday.

6 Likes

The company estimates its robotic sorting system is saving around 70-percent of the costs a human-based sorting line would require.

And the workers lose 100% of their paycheck.

6 Likes

Richard Garfield’s dream come true…

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18/roborally

4 Likes

I’ve heard there’s a buggy whip makers union, maybe they could seek representation there?

2 Likes

Why don’t they have a branching tree system of conveyor belts? Seems like it would be a lot faster and cheaper.

1 Like

I didn’t see any packages slip off the tops of the robots during acceleration and deceleration. Maybe the four holes I noticed on top of one of the robots is for a little onboard… vacuum?

3 Likes

Came here to do that, beaten.

Bright orange mini-bots that crawl around like cute mammalian organisms in a scrubbed environment where nary a minor chord can be heard? Nothing but sunshine and warm spring days in that factory. The kiddos are gonna love the future! “Doo doo doo doo duh-do duh-do!”

which is, what, $1 and the promise of a new suicide net?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Actually, FedEx and UPS bring in a lot of temp workers around Christmas. Among unskilled folks, these are considered good paying jobs, but hard work.

1 Like

They celebrate Christmas in China?

The Chinese version of Robot Wars seems much rangier if a little sedate.

3 Likes

It’s a lot harder to relocate or expand conveyor belts.

If a belt goes down, that’s en entire line down. If a robot goes down, the throughput is just slightly slower.

4 Likes

another $#@&*% traffic jam at ZJ97!
when are they going to fix this?

1 Like

A preview of NYC traffic in 20 years.

2 Likes