Rock and roll pioneer Jerry Lee Lewis, RIP

Originally published at: Rock and roll pioneer Jerry Lee Lewis, RIP | Boing Boing

7 Likes

He was still alive?

33 Likes

That was my response too. I guess that the Rock ‘n’ Roll Era wasn’t so very long ago after all.

15 Likes

No but I bet his wife is.

Try the steak, I’m here all night!

20 Likes

10 Likes

A minky?

6 Likes

Brian Auger, on top of Jerry Lee Lewis, on top of Little Richard, on top of Fats Domino.

18 Likes

lol, I thought the picture was of Noel Fielding on top.

23 Likes

Me too!

8 Likes

Me three!

7 Likes

He may have been the last, though. Any of the first wave in the 1950s still around? Chuck Berry and Little Richard both died just a few years ago and most of their peers much earlier.

4 Likes

I saw him live at a 2 a.m. show New Year’s Day 1988 at The Ritz in Manhattan. Great show.

3 Likes

I’m thinking Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson are still alive. I still want to see Willie live if he ever does another European tour.

4 Likes

Still alive, with a final album just last year:

10 Likes

Great balls of fire, twice in two days, what are the odds.

6 Likes

True, I guess I wouldn’t really associate them with Rock & Roll, although both have done some songs in that genre and in the 1950s the distinctions between Rock & Roll and Country & Western were pretty blurry.

4 Likes

So we’re giving a pass to paedophiles now? Because they’re dead, said paedophilia was long ago, and he could play the piano?

8 Likes

Just looked it up and it turns out he was married seven times, so he’s tied with Liz Taylor for number of spouses (but one behind in total number of marriages). Though wife #3 is obviously the one most people remember since she was his 13-year-old first cousin once removed. Also the fact that he didn’t always remember to end one marriage before moving on to another.

10 Likes

Well, that’s a longer and more complicated joke set up!

5 Likes

Wait, I was just reading that news of his death was incorrect… so is he dead or isn’t he? Or did he read incorrect reports of his death in the news and think, “Yeah, might as well…”

Or… did he “break his silence” after dying? Oooh, spooky.

I’m really confused. I saw the above news story the other day and thought, “Wait, didn’t I read about him dying a year or two back? Did people think he was dead for several years and just now figured out he wasn’t? I’m misremembering, aren’t I?” So it’s been a real roller coaster. “Surprise, he’s alive! Double surprise, he’s actually dead!”

5 Likes