Rogue One: a Star Wars spy movie

Dunno how far they got - but they had a demo that looks pretty polished.

1 Like

With the game they had gotten at least to the point of demo videos and a playable state to draw them from. A few of the things I’ve read since LucasArts shut down indicated it was much further along before changes made by Lucas. The TV show seemed to be fairly well stalled out. I’ve not seen anything about it aside from concept art and design documentation. I don’t remember a formal announcement like with the game, there didn’t seem to be any casting or public attachment of creative talent. But apparently things at LucasArts were unstable long before the Disney buy out. With everything that’s come out its hard to blame them for just shutting it down. As of now the studio is shuttered, no employees or offices or anything. But the name, trademarks, and IP still exist in some fashion. So all the rumors these days seem to be about how, when and if Disney will relaunch it. And how that relates to their current contract with EA to handle all Star Wars video game stuff from now on.

I’m willing to bet some of this stuff will make it out. And they’ll do something with LucasArts at some point. But like an Original Trilogy re-release its probably on the back burner, waiting till they get a stable handle on everything, and some rights issues are cleared up. Star Wars Detours looks awful based on the trailer. But even then I wouldn’t put it past them to dump it to streaming services at some point years down the line.

Yeah, it’s a joke. If you watch the whole thing it becomes clear.

I think it was largely a matter of production expedience. They are shot using British soundstages.
Plus once you hired a British actor to play a major character (Alec Guinness), you need one to play his younger self (Ewan McGregor is Scottish but close enough).

Add to that, George Lucas would never have turned down genre stalwarts Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee to play villains once the casting people approached them. As for Liam Neeson, of course he would be cast. He is a man with certain skills.

…aaand the misogynist backlash is already in full force. (“It was bad enough that we had ONE Star Wars movie with a female lead. But TWO IN A ROW is just beyond the pale!”)

8 Likes

Ugh, wimminz, amirite?

https://twitter.com/unseenperfidy/status/718125086574845952

5 Likes

Huh. My son hasn’t griped once about not having Rey. I asked him about it once, he said he had the ones he wanted.

Kylo had a good excuse. He was traumatized by all the times he was babysat by scary Uncle Chewbacca!

Thanks! Odd that the punchline was clipped.

I don’t really have anything to add about the actual film, but the minute backlash coming from certain MRA members (many of whom cannot spell, apparently) is highly amusing to me, so I’m just gonna set this right here:

It is getting really odd on that end. There’s some scuttlebutt about that new Baldur’s Gate expansion. Apparently the mere existence of a minor, easily missable, entirely disconnected from the plot NPC who’s trans is a deliberate assault on all things good and nerdy, and is destroying the world. All this shit is increasingly reading as “how dare you remind me that people different from myself exist! They’re existence itself is a cruel and diliberate attack on me!”

1 Like

The Empire seems to be able to build these gigantic superweapons really really quickly. I would have expected them to be generational projects.

I want to see a Star Wars spy movie starring Melissa McCarthy and Jason Statham. It should include at least one FIAT-built TIE fighter.

1 Like

This is a pretty nerdy nitpick, but what’s with the scene where they fitted the giant deflector dish part in as one of the final stages of assembly?

Return of the Jedi made it pretty clear that said component was in place well before the second Death Star was finished.

And even if they didn’t use the same construction methods the first time around, there was a scene at the end of Revenge of the Sith showing the dish under construction as a part of the same structure.

6 Likes

I’m curious about that too, especially as (as you point out) it contradicts what we see at the end of Ep III.

They definitely used different construction methods the second time around, because the Rebels show has made it canon that the race who built the first one (the Genosians, whom my web browser insists on autocorrecting to Genitals, thanks) were either wiped out by the Empire or split the system for unknown reasons. The second one got rid of the ‘easily accessible deadly exhaust port’ issue if nothing else.

Did the Genosians actually get around to building the thing? I thought they just designed it then gave Sir Christopher Lee the plans for safekeeping, which he subsequently handed over to Palpatine so he could construct it using presumably Imperial labor. (I haven’t seen “Rebels” so I might have missed something there.)

3 Likes

Suddenly, the Star Wars universe is full of non-white humans and women…

7 Likes

Clearly they had to uninstall it and send it back to the vendor for calibration. That kind of thing happens all the time in major projects with a lot of sub-contractors.

Or, possibly, that scene in Episode III that you assumed was the actual death star construction was just the 1/4 scale cardboard mock-up.

7 Likes

I HAVEN’T SEEN IT YET AAAAARGH 

Here they come; soon you’ll be wishing some one would make frickin another batman movie.