Rolls Royce hood ornament instantly hides when bothered

Maybe he should have argued that in 1930 Harry Ricardo designed an experimental V12 sleeve-valve diesel engine for Rolls-Royce. And that in a car driven by George Eyston it held the diesel land speed record until 1950.
Or that RR made lots of diesel engines after 1950 or so.

IMO, Rolls-Royce died in the 1973 de-merger of the Rolls-Royce automotive business from the nationalised Rolls-Royce Limited and was buried when Vickers acquired it in 1980.

That being said, I’d love to get my hands on a Silver Cloud III Mulliner Park Ward fixed head coupé.

2 Likes

Just as a tangent on luxury cars…

My Dad’s first ever car was one of these:

He got it when he was fourteen, and used it as a dune buggy.

Needless to say, it was not a new one.

2 Likes

Do you mean you stopped? CLASS TRAITOR!!!

4 Likes

That’s not even the most impressive security feature. On the newer models if you try and jimmy the door open, the whole car retracts into the earth.

5 Likes

Sounds like a very self destructive tendency. Millenials are killers.

2 Likes

Naw, on to bigger and better things

(Ok that’s a lie)

But I keep telling myself that so I can sleep better

1 Like

“The Spirit of Ecstasy”… Pretty sure I met her, names Molly IIRC. A real drag actually.

https://youtu.be/8X9dg7jPKZI?t=31

SUMMER IS SAFE

1 Like

For some inexplicable reason, it doesn’t seem right that ‘The Spirit of Ecstasy’ should behave like ‘The Spirit of Shyness’.

Closer to $1400.

rolls royce made this a process when the lady was made of solid silver

1 Like

I do wonder sometimes about Boing Boing.

Oh, Lotus had something similar in the early 1980ies:

3 Likes

They are a joke when it comes to SUVs- these are still very dangerous for pedestrians because of their high fronts.

Recent Land Rover Discoveries look like they could have been intentionally designed to knock pedestrians to the floor, then funnel them under the vehicle:

3 Likes

Pedestrian safety regulations are why Jaguars have a badge on the front now (in the EU at least), rather than the statue of an actual Jaguar.
That said, when you buy your Jaaaaaaaaag, you can also purchase an ornamental jaguar statuette to put on your mantelpiece, which it just so happens would screw straight into the bonnet of your Jag, if you chose to do so.

4 Likes
2 Likes

As someone for whom Harry Ricardo was close to a deity in my formative years, I would remark that sleeve valves were developed as a way of reducing NVH and service intervals for engines, so at the time made sense. The problem is that it is very difficult to make a sleeve valve Diesel because the ports are in the walls, which limits the compression ratio. The other problem with SV engines is the trail of most un-RR like smoke. They would possibly have done better to do a 2-stroke Diesel with blown scavenge, like a marine engine, but Harry R did love his sleeve valves.

But, let’s face it, once they were using cheap truck engines, albeit with good balancing, RR Motors as a car company was pretty much window dressing, like one of those iPhones with the back covered in Swarovski crystals that they sell to Chinese businessmen in Harrods.

3 Likes

Gee, I sure hope no one walks up and clamps a pair of vice grips on one of those.

1 Like

You are right; for fashion reasons these vehicles have to have cut away fronts (for when you are climbing 45 degree hills, whereas few of these cars will ever climb anything bigger than a kerb.)
Governments are very unwilling to enforce safety rules for these vehicles because the people who own them have money and vote.
My small private act of rebellion is never, ever to give way to them.

Never been tempted to scratch ‘arbitrary’ or ‘very, very silly’ into the side of a 4x4 with a screwdriver?