Ron DeSantis signs bill that allows Florida to build roads with radioactive waste

Yep. And neutrons range from bad to horrible, but not in a linear way; it’s the middling-energy ones with the highest radiation weighting factor, while the very high and very low energy ones do LESS per electron-volt.

4 Likes

Could we, maybe, not have cookies with radiation? :woman_shrugging: Or is selling cookies with radiation far too critical to the wealth and power of white men, that we must not disrupt it?

7 Likes

That would definitely be my first choice.

10 Likes

Better skip anything with bananas, then.

7 Likes

Best just to look at them.

Banana Potassium GIF

20 Likes

It sounds like you know about at least some of the aspects of this issue.

Now, do you believe that DeSantis has as complex an understanding of the science (oh, sorry, I used a dirty word) as you do?

8 Likes

Check It Out Would You GIF by chelsiekenyon

4 Likes

8y38xw287gd71

6 Likes

Yeah, but you have to drive there.

On My Way Roadtrip GIF by Gone to the Snow Dogs

2 Likes

Does it matter? The guy’s clearly making calls based on political expediency, rather than science; witness the anti-trans nonsense. Nevertheless, a small radiation hazard is a small radiation hazard–and it will remain small even if every horrible jerk on the planet says “That’s a small radiation hazard.”

1 Like

On one hand, I suspect that this is an equivalent radiation hazard as living in Cornwall*, on the other, I can’t see why you’d choose to use phosphogypsum to build a road.
Unless of course you happened to have a few stacks of it, and your mate was the governor of Florida…

*(because granite)

3 Likes

I grew up in Cornwall and went to school in an old granite building flecked with black crystals of some of the more excitable elements.

We couldn’t do any of the radiation physics activities in our course because the calibrated, ‘safe’ sources were considerably weaker than the walls.

Hilariously, at the same time, the government was looking for new sites for nuclear power stations and the locals were up in arms about the radiation risk.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.