Ron DeSantis' "Stop Woke" act is stopped by Florida judge: "Positively dystopian"

even if it gets overturned, the breathing room is good. and i think having these sorts of decisions in the court record is extremely important regardless of the ultimate outcome

because really, what’s the alternative? no judge tries block these clearly unconstitutional laws? that seems much much worse

8 Likes

They’d love for it to go to the US Supreme Court because that guarantees nationwide coverage from the shrieking gibbons on Fox News, OnAN and the like.

5 Likes

Something tells me the Supreme Court would just whiff on this and not bother to hear the case.

5 Likes

This Supreme Court? I hope you’re right.

5 Likes

They tend to be a bit lazy. Especially if their hand isn’t forced by conflicting appellate opinions.

5 Likes

We’re not quite doing backflips of joy down here. Still in the legislative pipeline are HB299 and S266 which will, if passed (when passed) further restrict academic freedom. The courts so far have stopped some of this, but I feel like it’s only a matter of time - and it shouldn’t come to the courts like this anyway.

16 Likes

That is also a George Orwell quote (from a preface to Animal Farm)

7 Likes

Montgomery worked for Axios Tampa Bay, mostly contributing to its daily newsletter about the latest news in Tampa-St. Petersburg and surrounding communities. Like many reporters who cover politics in Florida, he received an email about a roundtable discussion hosted by DeSantis regarding, to quote the press release, “divisive concepts such as Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives, Critical Race Theory (CRT) and the impact that these concepts have had on Florida higher education institutions and the students that attend them.”

It included a statement from DeSantis that said, “We will expose the scams they are trying to push onto students across the country.”

Montgomery replied to the release by writing, “This is propaganda, not a press release.”

Accurate.

13 Likes

And not even good propaganda.

I lived in the former Soviet Union for over a decade. Now that was good propaganda.

I left before Putin’s second term as President. The quality of propaganda has fallen since then.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.