Rooney Mara regrets playing whitewashed native American

Well, there was one…

1 Like

It will happen when I see an elephant fly.

5 Likes

You know, now that you mention it, I’d go to see a movie of $200,000,000 in cash being set on fire. Not fake money, mind you, or money that the Treasury Dept. had earmarked for destruction, but if it were $200,000,000 of Paramount’s actual money? Heck yes. I’d pay $10 to see a film of that, and I bet twenty million other people would too!

I think Warner Brothers has a couple superhero films in the pipeline which might fit the bill.

2 Likes
1 Like

I see what you did there…

4 Likes

Like J. M. Barrie was thinking anything but white when he wrote the story?

The trailer alone made baby Jeebus weep.

1 Like

An interesting tidbit from Wikipedia:

In 1997, Patrick Stewart took the role of Othello with the Shakespeare Theatre Company (Washington, D.C.) in a race-bending performance, in a “photo negative” production of a white Othello with an otherwise all-black cast. Stewart had wanted to play the title role since the age of 14, so he and director Jude Kelly inverted the play so Othello became a comment on a white man entering a black society. The interpretation of the role is broadening, with theatre companies casting Othello as a woman or inverting the gender of the whole cast to explore gender questions in Shakespeare’s text.

10 Likes

KLF already did it. Well, it was only $1 Million Pounds.

1 Like

Beat you to it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We just need it to be posted 198 more times now.

1 Like

You have a point that yes, an actor is portraying someone. But the real world issue is that certain ethnicities are under-represented in film and TV. If you’re a Native American actress having trouble getting good roles and then they won’t even let you play a Native American character because they gave that part to a white girl, that’s where there are problems. That’s why it’s not the equivalent of Elba playing Heimdall, or Duncan playing the Kingpin, because the white actor that got displaced for that job has plenty of opportunities elsewhere.

4 Likes

Can’t tell if you’re being serious or not. Hamilton’s casting decisions are laudable, but, you know, its one play. And to be fair, there are a number of other examples; in my experience, theater is ahead of Hollywood on this front. But it’s still not especially common, especially when considering Hollywood movies, which generally have a much larger audience than plays, even hit Broadway musicals

2 Likes

Here’s director Joe Wright’s justification for the casting, in the interest of providing context:

“In the end I decided that they were the indigenous people of the globe, so therefore we could pick from all over the world. It was kind of like a world village,” Wright says of Tiger Lily’s tribe. “We looked at every kind of culture. We looked at Indian and Mongolian — a lot of Indian in there — and Native American, and African, and Chinese, and so on and so forth. It was a bringing together of all these different cultures into one big melting pot.”

From The Guardian, 9/25/15

1 Like

4 Likes

5 Likes

At least here in the south, many of the people claiming an “Indian princess” in their background often turn up having sub-saharan African DNA… so there’s that too.

4 Likes

Sure, but I’m talking about big-time Hollywood production values. Open on a slow-motion scene of a single dollar, in black and white, burning as a sad violin elegy plays. Work your way up to bigger and bigger conflagrations, until the end is a 20-minute, $180,000,000 balls-to-the-wall action set-piece directed by Michael Bay.

Starring Channing Tatum as a studio accountant in a desperate, doomed race against the clock to save his precious money, and Zooey Deschanel as Bank Teller #3.

3 Likes

Totally agreed. Two friends of mine who recently took DNA tests told me that their family lore included mention of some shadowy genetic Native American interloper claimed but never known…and in both cases, the tests showed there was no such genetic heritage. Perhaps that’s a fallacy common to Americans wanting to seem doubleplus American?

And that erasure you’re writing of–it’s certainly not contained to Indigenous Americans. I would expect that African Americans (or a large portion thereof) share the lack of an easily discernable genetic history, given various and all-abhorrent practices done during the period of slavery (and afterwards, for that matter).

3 Likes