Rooney Mara regrets playing whitewashed native American

Well, they didn’t burn the cash on film…

4 Likes

It’s because colorblindness continues to be used as an excuse not to hire minorities at all. You know what they could have done that might have generated controversy but probably would have turned into positive buzz? Cast a white woman as Tiger Lily and then cast an actual Native American as one of the other main characters, maybe Peter Pan himself.

4 Likes

A good director and writing team can pull that off so it doesn’t sound bad. I … don’t think that happened here.

If you wanted to make a spectacle of burning so much money, why wouldn’t you let Jeb! direct?

please like

8 Likes

Must give a like for any reference to the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu…

1 Like

But thinking that was the premise going in made it so much more enjoyable.

Wait, are you saying that they cast a white person in order to subvert the racist underpinnings of the character? Brilliant!
Oh wait, Mara apologized. So I guess they only think they’re wrong cause they didn’t accurately play up the characters racist traits?

Seems to me like they never gave a thought to either problem. Racist character or lack of representation. The banality of evil and all that.

Not really. They cast a bunch of different ethnicities in her “tribe” to show that it wasn’t a Native American tribe. It was just a group of kids playing dress-up basically. They tried to stay completely away from all the stereotypes. Unfortunately nobody saw the movie so they’re assuming racism.

“I decided they would be an indigenous people of the world who were engaged in a guerrilla warfare with the controlling power which is Blackbeard. I met actresses from China, India, Japan, Russia, Africa and Iran. But it was Rooney who felt the most like a warrior princess. My point was to make a heroine for little girls.” – director

1 Like

So Michael B. Jordan wasn’t cast as Johnny Storm?

I’ve been asking myself lately, why white people can be so eager to claim non white status somehow. Best I can come up with, is they’re afraid of being judged. They’d rather seem affiliated with the victim class than with the oppressor class. Claiming some tiny sliver of native blood is much easier than coming up with some way to make it better for brown people.

3 Likes

I recently found out that I’ve got a “tiny sliver” of Shawnee blood via a DNA test, which came as a surprise, given that my family is very German. And given the way Native membership works, it’s enough to become an “official” Shawnee, if I did some digging through census paperwork. I have no intention of doing so or pretending to be Shawnee; that’d be ludicrous. To me, it’s just a fascinating wrinkle in my ancestry’s tapestry, and so far, a mystery, given the terrible paperwork from back then.

5 Likes

You know, that’s interesting… I was listening to NPR this morning and they were talking about some riots in India by a particular caste that had historically not be disenfranchised. Now they are seeking out similar status to lower castes. They want to be classified like the Dalit caste, so they have access to affirmative action that was written into their constitution.

3 Likes

Mara Rooney
Kate Mara
Noomie Rapace

These names vex me nearly as much as the actors please me.

And I’m sure it doesn’t help that two of those actresses played Lisbeth Salander (both really well IMO)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.