Roy Moore sues Sacha Baron Cohen over "pedophile detector" stunt

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/06/roy-moore-sues-sasha-baron-coh.html

6 Likes

Yeah, good luck with that, Roy. We’re all looking forward to you being questioned on the stand about your being a creepy mall guy back in the 1980s (when you had to put in serious effort to get banned from the mall).

28 Likes

"Kick Me!"

This’ll be more fun than the time Tom Cruise sued a German publisher for saying that he hadn’t seen his daughter in … a long time … and got massacred in discovery.

21 Likes

Popehat’s analysis of this suit is fun and instructive.

22 Likes

Moore would be better off suing his attorney in this case for malpractice.

13 Likes

Showtime has an ace on their staff.

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/showtime/executives/view?id=1221

Betting she has a really great bullshit detector.

8 Likes

What does Moore care - he’s using charity money to fund the case. Maybe we’ll be lucky & damages will put the Foundation for Moral Law into bankruptcy court.

15 Likes

One word - Discovery.

This perfect opportunity to get good legal backing for digging into all his past dirt.

12 Likes

Most times when someone appears on a show they are asked to sign certain documents about their appearance and some waivers around things like “Hey…if a boom mic falls on you, we aren’t liable” type stuff.

I strongly suspect that Showtime ensures they are protected from this sort of thing once the targets of Cohen’s mocking get wind of it.

7 Likes

I hear that Cohen will have an amicus brief filed by James O’Keefe.

6 Likes

And I strongly suspect that the first thing Showtime did when they got SBC’s scripts/proposals for his show was to lawyer the heck out of them, knowing that they were all lawsuit-bait. As Popehat points out, at no point on the show did Cohen make any defamatory claims. He mocked him (which is by definition not defamatory) and the use of the “pedophile detector” basically puts any ‘defamation’ in Roy Moore’s own head.

Personally, if I’d been repeatedly accused of child molestation, I wouldn’t sue someone for calling me a child molester, thus requiring me to prove I’m not to win the case.

17 Likes

They really oughta change the libel laws. /S

2 Likes

Well, Moore’s the one who chose to hire Larry fucking Klayman.

6 Likes

In 2016, Judicial Watch declared $66,658,790 in assets. They only spent $19M on programs, and yet they spent millions on fundraising. Lots like Larry has been squeezed out.

2016 Form 990:

3 Likes

5 Likes

I hear the initial draft demanded single-shot pistols at dawn, but apparently it’s not possible to sue in order to force somebody to commit a crime. Who knew?

How anyone can not recognize SBC in disguise these days is beyond me.

5 Likes

As I highlighted in another thread:

10 Likes

I am imagining the judge holding up a device and saying “I’ve got a device that detects idiots with frivolous lawsuits…”

15 Likes

No one tell him that protections for satire and political commentary are a thing.

2 Likes