Royal Mail issues stamps honoring classic British computer games

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/08/royal-mail-issues-stamps-honor.html

6 Likes

Ooh, Wipe’out (rather than “Hoohawawa Wipeout”) was such a lovely package; with its Design Republic style and its up to the moment electronic soundtrack.

9 Likes

This is awesome - well done Royal Mail!

I have a ton of first day covers from the 80s and 90s. I think this would be a good addition to my collection.

7 Likes

I would have thought Maniac Miner or Jet Set Willy rather than the later Dizzy would have been more iconic for the Spectrum.

7 Likes

Came to say the same thing. Between this and their work with the Electronica group Fluke, I became a huge fan of Designers Republic.

1996-wipeout-game-wipeout-xl-cd-cover-art-the-designers-republic

5 Likes

Ooooooh. It is so fresh and so clean. Like a less serious Neville Brody. The game was
pure, distilled 1990s.

1 Like

And it was hard. Exacerbated by the fact that I only ever played it high as fuck after a night on the rave. Ah, Happy days.

2 Likes

Indeed. Or a good chunk of Ultimate Play the Game’s catalogue: Jetpac, Atic Atac, Sabre Wulf, Underwurlde, Knight Lore …

3 Likes

Ooh, that’s a good choice of games. :slight_smile:

artwork03

6 Likes

Those bring back such memories - not only was I young enough that video games were new to me, but they were genuinely a new thing in the world.

I used to work in the industry back then and I was hoping to see one of our games turn up in that list but… fair enough

What a rip off, there’s not a single one by Lord British. Pfffft.

5 Likes

Hi Ptango.

The Royal Wii.

2 Likes

Clearly some missed opportunities here

3 Likes

Indeed, several of those games created new genres, eg Populous was the first ‘god game’, (and maybe the first RTS?), Elite was the first space sim, etc. That period of gaming was just as home computers were getting good enough to throw around a decent number of coloured pixels, and every other game was doing things that had never been seen before.

Also:

Commodore Amiga First Class

Yes. Yes it was. (And sixteen year old me would not be in the least surprised that no Atari games made this list :wink: )

1 Like

I am sad that they regard Elite as second class.

They also did the styling for Hardwar, a game I still hold a soft spot for, though it never got all that strong of a popular following.

My other half is not going to be happy that Elite is ‘2nd. class’ :wink:

I now have the original ‘Pimania’ song stuck in my head, despite not having heard it for decades.

Thanks… I think.

1 Like