Rubber band ball for $3

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/07/rubber-band-ball-for-3.html

What happened to hard work, elbow grease and moxie? Back in my day we had to make our own rubber band balls!

6 Likes

making the ball was half the fun!

(actually, thinking back, the fact that I only ever did it once may be evidence that it’s actually pretty tedious)

2 Likes

What was the other half?

4 Likes

The Film Shipping desk at Universal Studios used to take the tape off film cans they’d receive and stick those chunks of 1" gaffer’s tape onto a ball beside the desk. When last I checked in 1996 or so, the ball was three and a half feet in diameter. I wonder how big it eventually got by the time all the productions switched to digital cameras.

5 Likes

throwing it out of an upstairs window and being astonished at how high it would bounce

3 Likes

I would wind them TIGHT and until I’d need to chain multiple rubber bands together just to fit them around the ball. Yeah, that sucker’s gonna bounce.

1 Like

My colleague routinely makes tape/label balls…

3 Likes

From the headline I actually thought you were joking about purchasing a rubber band ball pre-made. I was thinking that the contents of the article would be more along the lines of “Gentleman sells rubber band balls for $4 each.”

2 Likes

Your colleague is Korean?

1 Like

A boy named Soo

6 Likes

There are two kinds of rubber band balls: ones like these, which exist as a form of packaging for new rubber bands, and ones that you make yourself from used rubber bands. I suppose one could buy the former to play the role of the latter (or even as a source of material for the latter), but that would be kind of silly.

My problem is that I don’t use enough rubber bands to exhaust either a ball or a bag of them before most of them deteriorate, but I don’t like to throw them away either.

2 Likes

Actually, with tape, it’s more fun to just stick to the wall, and let it grow there. I did that in my college dorm room years ago. I called it “Rose With Adhesive.”

1 Like

I only use handcrafted rubber band balls made of organic free trade rubber sourced on etsy.

2 Likes

Or, to be really Etsy, posted as being handcrafted rubber band balls made of organic free trade rubber but actually bought in bulk from Alibaba for ten cents each.

4 Likes

One does not purchase a rubber band ball, one makes one. Mine is nearly 60 pounds.

1 Like

So, the $3 one is a heck of a lot cheaper, eh?

7 Likes

But I can kill a rabid squirrel with mine, if circumstances called for it. I have been trying to talk my Dad into dropping it from an airplane, to film what happens. There is a bunch of potential energy in that thing.

4 Likes

$3.29 and wait a few days for it to be delivered, or just pay $2.99 at Office Depot and have it immediately. Gee, that’s a tough one.

1 Like

Your car or public transit system must be awsome if you can round trip to Office Depot for $0.29 :thinking:

:smiley: D