Ruined: 'Eye of the Tiger' but in '50s doo-wop style

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/09/ruined-eye-of-the-tiger-b.html

4 Likes
4 Likes

Not bad, certainly not ruined, but Big Daddy did it much better: “Eye Of The Tiger” DOO-WOP ( 1983 / Acapella )

15 Likes

Just came here to say the same thing! :+1:t3:

2 Likes

thanks for saving me digging through the brain pan to remember who did this. would have made for a very long day

2 Likes

Wait? What’s wrong with doo wop? Other than white people ruining it, I mean.

6 Likes

Sounds a little country, too.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but the cockney version is a magnificent thing which beats all of these.

4 Likes

The Big Daddy version is surprisingly good. The cockney version… well… not so much. :grinning:

3 Likes

That’s a surprisingly tolerable take on the world’s worst song!

3 Likes

Surely only the 2nd worst? One cannot forget (unfortunately) the shrill of Roxanne. So many tortuous school bus rides…

1 Like

I think this was only a hit in Australia. If anyone heard it in America, I’m sorry:

1 Like

Shocked not to find enka stylings afloat right there at YouRube. …Excel Saga probably included a music video of just this?!

4 Likes

Oh for fuck sake!!! You do realise that it is part of the Australian citizen oath to never talk of this song to outsiders, let alone let them hear it!!!

1 Like

Maybe Australians would find some space in their busy days to reflect on that oath?

1 Like

These guys are obviously of the dinkum working class as the cow cocky rich bastards could afford to put much more vegimite on their toasted brioche.

Thanks for not saying the MP words.

You misspelled “vastly improved.”

Apology accepted. :wink:

It got radio airplay here in the US back in the day. I recall it being part of the mini “Aussie invasion” (Little River Band, Olivia N-J, Men At Work a little later…) of the late 70s and 80s.

2 Likes

No, it got played here, too.

4 Likes