"Run, Hide, Repeat" podcast tells disturbing story of a childhood full of secrets, spent on the run

Originally published at: "Run, Hide, Repeat" podcast tells disturbing story of a childhood full of secrets, spent on the run | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Netflix just released a show that seems to have a very similar theme (I haven’t seen it). Any connection?

I haven’t seen it but it’s not surprising. It’s possible that Netflix really liked the book and bid for it, didn’t get it but liked it enough to get it made anyways without the original IP attached to it.

I listened to this. It is a good listen! It takes a long time to build up to what’s really happening, but you will guess it before the end.

It’s a combination of mental illness in the mother and a cult-leader-type severely controlling father who treats his women as property. Same as it ever was. The story of them being fugitives is one he made up to control his family.

The real story is how it could happen to otherwise reasonably smart people, and it’s worth thinking about whether it could happen to you.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.