Rupert Murdoch just bought National Geographic: Fox buyout means shift to pure for-profit

National Geographic —> MySpace

mark SELL NOW

1 Like

I’ll take from that you have no freaking idea what you are talking about and people like you are a danger to the survival of a safe climate.

Rupert, in case anyone hasn’t told you yet, you’re a piece of shit. Millions of people can not wait for you to be 6 feet under. You’re a cancer in this world. You’ve made the planet a worse place single-handedly. You are Australia’s all time worst export. Fuck you, I can’t wait to spit on your grave.

2 Likes

Wow, this thread is new poster central, 7 new users and counting, welcome to BoingBoing everyone! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think @AlejandroMS and I are gonna get along just fine :grinning:

2 Likes

No mercy for the wicked! :smiley:

2 Likes

“Rupert Murdoch is a raging A$$whole…” what an excellent argument, not an ad hominem at all(look it up). Thanks to your clear and poinent evidences that were eliquently laid out, i now believe in global warming and the RM is the devil.

Saying Rupert Murdoch is a raging arsehole is like saying, ‘nice weather we’re having’ - it’s not something sane people disagree on.

4 Likes

At first glance, I thought you typed “Owl, my balls!”

2 Likes

It’s not an ad hominem (look it up). That would be saying the things Murdoch believes are wrong because he’s a raging asshole, not he’s a raging asshole because of the things he does. Big difference. Not that you care, but hey.

7 Likes

In a way, it’s just part of the changing of Geographic to talking about all types of stuff which has little to do with geography. The magazine has been going for running “science” pieces for years now-and it’s not that good, in that that is not it’s mission. I am 57, have minors in geography and biology. I never read National Geographic these days. It’s not the class act it used to be. Let Murdoch have it, Americans sort of deserve it. They are not interested in geography anyway, especially many of the young. Read it, watch Fox News, shop at Macy’s. People don’t know the difference…

4 Likes

In other news, Rupert Murdoch buys Boingboing and vows to sell everything in the store at 50% less. Current editors could not be reached at their new moonbase, underwater or geosynchronic residences. More details at 6pm

6 Likes

Is the magazine’s current format unprofitable? I’m pretty sure Rupert Murdoch would personally marry gay people in a speeding Tesla, with organic tofu served at the reception if it meant he’d make shitloads of money. There are some holdings in his media empire that don’t bear the imprint of his stated politics. Hell, isn’t the Simpsons owned by Fox Broadcasting?

I don’t think he’ll tinker too much with the format and content if it means they’ll alienate a huge section of their readership (which I suspect is composed mainly of wealthy, older white people anyway).

4 Likes

It’s as if the Nat’l Geo was once like the Ralph Nader of world truth and culture magazines, yet now it’s as if they replaced Nader’s brain with Sarah Palin’s…

1 Like

yeah thats why I said “Humanlike Creatures” because before us there was the Homo-Erectus… So I do not stand corrected :smile: I stand “erected” ! haha ! on this… There have been things living here for millions of years…

Now we can kiss Animal Jam goodbye.

Homo-Erectus was still only during the last ice age…and hasn’t lived through multiple ice ages as you claim. no human like creature has.

the habitat zones for human like creatures in a moderate ice age is very very very small at best, but that isn’t even relevant to the global warming discussions, green ages are, and we certainly haven’t lived even close to one of those.

ice ages present very different challenges then green ages. an interglacial period is what we are in now (and the only period we can effectively survive in), the mid-way point between an ice age and a green age.

“Whenever earth transitions from either greenhouse or icehouse to the other, mass extinctions occur.”

no billions of years…3.8 billion years or so.

You really shouldn’t get erected so easily when most of what you are saying is A) wrong, and B) very easy to look up and educate yourself about. I recommend educating yourself about these subjects before taking such a glib “we will survive” stance based on misconceptions about these events and timelines. Cheers.

4 Likes

Compared to what the executives wanted to extract.

Fox will fuck it up guaranteed, because there was nothing wrong to begin with.

As if anything could get through your impenetrable aura of smugness.

I have a feeling we got hit by an astroturf storm last night. My guess is this asshat will never see your reply.

2 Likes