Russia bans U.S. food imports

Reading comprehension failure on my part, post since deleted. Now if it was consumer goods and media they would be hosed for trying.

1 Like

I recommend an edit noting ā€œincomplete dataā€ and directing people to the other link. The site I provided allows users to view using whatever parameters they choose, including time span. Default is 2002-2013, which I like because it shows that Russia suffered a poor economy at the same time that we went through our own recession. No matter where we live, we can be blind to outside influences.

1 Like

I guess weā€™ll have to wait and see how they really react. Rumors (I know - Rumors are just that, Rumors) are that the EU is already planning to appeal to WTO have the embargo lifted. If itā€™s not going to do anything, why bother?

I flipped you previous statement because it seemed so absurd that Russia was terrible for appearing to be threatening. While the US, well, you already know.

They seem to have pretty good track record of deescalating some pretty tense global situations lately. Situations that the US has done its best to escalate.

Well, theyā€™ve been under US imposed sanctions for how long? Can the US pressure the world to also add Russia to the club?

I guess thatā€™s why BRICS is gaining traction and the embargo will only help strengthen those new trade markets.

I gonna go way out on limb here and maybe try to defend/explain this. Some of this happened because of the chaos that emerged with 1) collapse of the Soviet Union and 2) Yeltsin. Some of the solutions to these problems are not the ideal ones, but Russia is a totally different culture than the US.

Gotta call BS on that one. What would Russia gain from a destabilized neighbors? Ukraine is a major trading partner for them. The current civil war going on is not good for Ukraine nor Russia. Thereā€™s no country on Earth that wants a war near itā€™s borders.

Is there is really no greater threat to the current hegemony than some (to paraphrase) ā€œabysmal, corrupt, broken, on the edge of bankruptcy, kleptocracy governed by a sociopath douche bagā€?

Honestly, Russia might be the only alternative. The paraphrased quote could apply to huge number of current governments, but the difference is that Russia is asserting its sovereignty. Itā€™s tried of the prolonged US/EU containment campaign against it and is finally taking action to create a different narrative than the one the US keeps trying to saddle with it.

Weā€™re so used to watching countries back down and get squashed when threatened by the US, that when one doesnā€™t it can be a bit unnerving.

-stayed up too late, hope at least some of this makes sense

I forget these werenā€™t widely known. I grew up watching the farm reports on the early morning news, and consequently knowing exactly how much grain the US was selling to the USSR.

1 Like

Howā€™s work at at 131 Lakhtinsky Prospekt? Did you earn your 1,180 rubles today? I donā€™t blame you for being such a moronic shillā€¦ $36.50 is still a lot of money where youā€™re from. I also hear if you put in a full eight hour day of this you get a free lunchā€¦ is that still the policy?

Since we are on the topic of BRICā€¦ only a few short moths ago there was talk about whether Russia should even be in that group:

From Business Insider - 10/13:

ā€œOver a decade ago, economist Jim Oā€™Neill coined the term BRIC. The acronym was used to identify four fast growing economies that by 2050 would be bigger than the current richest economies in the world.
China has been living up to those expectations. But many have questioned whether Russia, Brazil, and India deserve to be part of the group. In the recent past, experts argued that Russia and India should be replaced by Indonesia.ā€

BIIC perhaps?

At that time Russian manufacturing had suffered through three-straight months of sub-50 HSBC PMI readingsā€¦ which means that the sector had been contracting. Ouch. How will that improve under the current circumstances?

[Just trying to give you a shot to keep earning those rubles and a free bowl of beets!]

Canā€™t sanctions be bad for both sides? It seems the argument is over whether Russia wins or the west wins, but I think less communication between the two is bad for both. This is a game of egos between Putin and western leaders.

Assuming trade was efficient to begin with (it should be for it to be happening?) this will increase prices for things on both sides. Increased food prices are bad for poor people on both sides.

Putin seems like a psychopath (so does my own Prime Minister, to be fair) and I understand the challenges in dealing with him. But just because talking-it-out seems like it probably wonā€™t work doesnā€™t mean that puffing-up-our-chests will. How did Obamaā€™s bright red line go in Ukraine? Oh right, he had to backpedal and find an excuse to do nothing.

Iā€™ve read Putinā€™s foreign op eds. Whatever quantity of bullshit they contained, he is clearly smarter, better at spin and stronger willed than my ā€œleader.ā€ I donā€™t think that this conflict is good for us, and I donā€™t think he has an interest in taking over the world if we donā€™t do this.

1 Like

And which leader would that be? Itā€™s very convenient that you fail to mention where you are from. Afraid of the rebuttals? Which prime minister are we talking about here?

I hope this is being said in jest. I live in Canada and my prime minister is Stephen Harper. But in case we are being real here I am a bit flippant to call him a psychopath. I donā€™t actually think he has a disorder that prevents him from empathizing with other people or feeling guilty. I think heā€™s actually just a garden variety asshole who, having attained power, cares about absolutely nothing but keeping power. If I think the worst of Putin then my Prime Minister is nothing but a lesser copy (to my benefit).

2 Likes

Isnā€™t it because a lot of the rest is financialization? If the agricultural sector is gone, what will you do? Eat money?

Like, e.g., electing the wrong guy in the South America? Monroe Doctrine, anybody?

And thatā€™s why BRICS is working on their own parallel bank system. And thatā€™s good because the US (face it, EU plays the second fiddle/lapdog here) hegemony is getting stale and irritating. An alternative they cannot control is sorely needed.

The less effective the methods to interfere with other subjects are, the less the hegemon(s) will be tempted to use them.

I hope that you comparing the prime minister of Canada to Putin is whatā€™s in jest. Last time I looked the Canada prime minister wasnā€™t supplying any rebel/separatist groups to destabilize countries for his own plutocratic interests. I donā€™t see any propagandized jingoism programs in operation (CANADIAN PRIDE NOW!!! :slight_smile: Did advanced Canadian anti-aircraft systems didnā€™t kill 300 innocent people in a commercial jetlinerā€¦ did I miss that? Iā€™m also confident that Canada is not a Russian/Putin style kleptocracyā€¦ not at least until the world runs out of maple syrup and hockey pucks.

Hyperbole is all fun and gamesā€¦ until you OD on it. Do a little researchā€¦ get out a little moreā€¦ it might do you good.

Monroe Doctrine? Reallyā€¦ thatā€™s 1820ā€™s. Jeezā€¦ how about supporting your relatively thin point with something fromā€¦ ohā€¦ I donā€™t knowā€¦ the last CENTURY? Maybe the Guano warsā€¦ thatā€™s at least the 1880ā€™s. Cā€™monā€¦ you can do better.

That the thing originated in 1823 does not mean it did not last for annoyingly long time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_doctrine#Cold_War
Read this and learn.

1 Like

Will you be posting anything today that does not include a personal attack?

3 Likes

Hello, new commenter. I suggest you go read the <a href=ā€œhttp://bbs.boingboing.net/faq"target=ā€_blank">FAQ and the <a href=ā€œhttp://boingboing.net/tos"target=ā€_blank">TOS before the Donā€™t Push Your Luck Dragon is summoned.

1 Like

I know all about the Monroe Doctrineā€¦ and itā€™s certainly not uniformly accepted as being some sort of uberinfluence (Noam Chomsky aside). Butā€¦ youā€™ve clearly missed the point. There are DOZENS of good examples of the US screing around in Latin American politics from the last century that are much more egregiousā€¦ should I pick one? Read this and learn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Chilean_coup_dā€™%C3%A9tat

Where am I being profane? What ā€œattacksā€? I am pointed but not combative. Is ā€œAfraid of the rebuttalsā€ some sort of code I am breaking? Iā€™m not intending to flameā€¦ soā€¦ please educate me.

I reread the tl;dr rulesā€¦ and I donā€™t consider my posts bullyingā€¦ or being a ā€œHostile, whining hand-wringerā€. If I am pointed on this issueā€¦ okā€¦ but I am not some sort of bully!

Well, obviously this line is here just to try to get an emotional rise out of me, so mission accomplished with that.

Oh wait, I never said anything remotely approaching that!

Letā€™s be entirely clear here. I said that Putin was a psychopath and you are mad at me because I also dislike another person.

I made a post saying that I donā€™t think we can engage in grandstanding against Putin productively and you latched onto a mild sideswipe I made against my own leader in the middle of it without making any kind of substantive comment on my point. Take it back to your philosophy 101 class.

4 Likes

Valid example. But it isnā€™t it (and other such stuff there) within the spirit of the Monroe Doctrine? Isnā€™t the doctrine pretty much about ā€œweā€™ll mess with Latin America because it is our turfā€?